Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Auto Shotgun >

Auto Shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Auto Shotgun

Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Auto Shotgun

the stroeger is an exellent gun. i would stay away from the mossberg for skeet. The rem would be a good chioce.

If i were picking i would go with the stroeger due to the fact its cheap and the league is just a fun league.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Hey I am in the same boat here and I would also take a look at Charles Daly's line of auto because they now have a lifetime warranty on them and still about the price of the Stoeger maybe a little higher..
Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

From the list I would choose the Stoeger hands down. I love mine.

On the other hand the Berretta 390 is probably the best shotgun I've ever shot. Great balance and the fit and finish are perfect.

Tom
Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

look into the remington 1100. A frind gave me an old beat up one, I cleaned it up and it shoots like a dream. Id never sell it in a million years
Old 04-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I seen a pregnant woman win the SkeetNationals held here in Tampa,FL back in the 70's with a Rem 1100when I was a member at Cigar City Skeet/Trap Club.
:
I could borrow one of my buddies 1100's I suppose, but I don't know how I'm gonna get pregnant! jk

I shot a Benelli M1 Super 90 that works as well for sporting clays as it does for waterfowl and pheasants. I know some have a dedicated OU of any number of makes for clays. I just shoot so many other bird sports that OU isn't practical for me.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

In the original post you mentioned getting a 3" chamber so the gun could be used for waterfowl as well.The 1100s with 3" chambers do not cycle light target loads all that well.The 1100s that people are using for skeet are almost always 2-3/4" for that reason.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks. The X2 and Gold are the frontrunners at this point from my handling.Alsohave an iron in the fire on a berretta 391, so holding out(by the sounds of it this would be the choice and figure if I can swing the deal might just as well, though it's a 3.5" er..[&:])

Not interested in a O/U and hunting use is always a concern, as i don't plan to go into skeet/sporting clay hardcore...justan excuse to buy a new gun..
Old 04-24-2007, 08:09 PM

I have a Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard and it is an excellent gun, Beretta autos are just plain hard to beat period
Old 04-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

From you list I like the Stoeger 2000, Weatherby SAS, Winchester SX2, and the Browning Gold.

The Stoeger 2000 is a pretty good gun for the money. They are light in weight which is good for hunting, but not so much for high volume target shooting. It's cheap and easy to add weight and you can alter its balance to you liking. About a pound of weight would be as much weight you would want to add to an Inertia gun. Like most 3" Inertia operated field models they don't like to cycle 1oz target loads or lighter. This gun has an automatic magazine cutoff. They can also go awhile between cleanings and it's easier to clean than any other semi auto (same as Franchi I-12). Their overall quality is a little lower the SAS, Gold, SX2 but their price reflects it.

The Weatherby SAS is a very good model. It well made, reliable and very easy to clean. They cycle a wide range of shells and go a long time between cleanings. They have features like a magazine cutoff and shims to adjust the stock. They are about average weight wise for a 3" autoloader.

The Gold is arguably the best all around auto loader made today. They have very good quality and are reliable with a wide range of shells. They can go extended periods of time between cleanings and are pretty easy to clean. They have a lot of features like mag cut off (most Golds), speed load, and shims for the stock. They are fairly light in weight. Browning has a $100.00 rebate on all gold models.

The Winchester SX3 is similar to the Gold but, does not have the extra features. They also have a much higher rib and cost a little less.

There are some other good models in you price range and some of them have been mentioned already.

The Wal Mart 390 is like the older 390's with a few differences. They only come in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge(20 gauge discontuned). They have the angled only receiver and do not have the bolt lock lever on the left side of the receiver. They have a had plastic buttplate instead of a recoil pad. They are fairly light and cycle a wide range of shells. They are well made and reliable. They have an automatic magazine cutoff and shimms for the stock. They are ok to clean but, can go a long time between cleanings.

The Beretta 3901 is pretty much the same as the Wal Mart 390. This gun has a rounded receiver only and comes in more barrel lengths and finishes.

The Browning Silver is a cross between the Browning Gold and Winchester SX2. It has an angled receiver from the Gold FLD (Classic), the rib from the Fusion (Gold), and the bolt and carrier from the Winchester SX2. It does not have the feature of the Gold but, shims from the FLD will fit it.

Franchi 712 is on of the best values. It's well made, reliable, and very easy to clean. It cycles a wide range of shells and can go a long time between cleanings. They are also very light in weight and have an automatic magazine cutoff and shims to adjust the stock. They have a rotary bolt face which makes them a little longer than other guns in it's class.

The Beretta AL391 is the most popular clays model today. They are well made and are reliable with a wide range of shells. They are fairly light and very thin in the forearm. They have automatic magazine cutoff's, bolt lock lever on the left side of the receiver, and shims for the stock. They can go a long time between cleanings but, are more difficult to clean and take apart. You may be able to find one you price range if you look fir a deal.

The A391 Xtrema is a 3 1/2 gun. Its well made and does a good job with lighter loads for a 3 1/2" model. They have the same feature as the AL391 but are much easier to clean. Their gas system is closer to the Franchi 712 and Weatherby SAS's than it is to the AL391. This model is geared for waterfowling and would be out of the price range you set.