Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 best military weapon of all time >

best military weapon of all time

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
m1 garand
53.85%
m1 carbine
7.69%
lee enfield
1.54%
springfield 1903
3.08%
steyr 1895
0%
mauser 98
10.77%
m1a
9.23%
mosin nagant
1.54%
m16
12.31%
.30-40 krag
0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

best military weapon of all time

Old 04-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: best military weapon of all time

Depends on era but the Browning bar kicked some butt.

M-60 for laying down alot of cover fire
M-2 for taking them out behind cover
MK-19 Grenade launcher becuase its nasty on everything
M-16 or M-14 for closer stuff

20mm Vulcan- When the **** hits the fan nothing can hide and nothing escapes. Why they didn't have these in every firebase in vietnam escapes me. So many lives would have been saved.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are all small arms! Rifles as a matter of fact! The term "military weapons" encompasses a lot more than merely rifles.....

Why did you leave the Kalashnikov weapons off your list? I see the M16 is there, but not the AK.

Bad list!!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I voted M1 Carbine, but isn't the M1A the same gun? And you forgot the M14.
The M1A is the semi-auto civilian version of the M14. If you think the M1 Carbine is a good military weapon, you have never had to defend yourself with one of the damn things! They're even marginal for jackrabbits!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

I'll have to agree with General George S. Patton Jr.'s famous quote; "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."
At the time Patton said that, it was true. The M14 is a definite improvement over the M1-I have used both in combat operations. Both are totally reliable, but that 20-round box magazine DOES make a difference! And Georgie had never seen an AK 47 or an M16......
Old 04-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

I'll have to agree with General George S. Patton Jr.'s famous quote; "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."
At the time Patton said that, it was true. The M14 is a definite improvement over the M1-I have used both in combat operations. Both are totally reliable, but that 20-round box magazine DOES make a difference! And Georgie had never seen an AK 47 or an M16......
Yeah, the M1 was a huge improvement over trapdoors and bolt actions. But, marginal today. Too heavy. Only holds 8 rounds. Makes that ridiculous ka-ching noise when emptied, letting the bad guy know you're out of commission for a few seconds. It's really not competitive with the M1A, the FN-FAL, the G3, the newer M16variants, the AK's.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Patton would've probably laughed if he saw an M16. The M14/M1A on the other hand.... IMHO the M14 wasfinest evolutionof the full size/power battle rifle. Putsthe5.56jamomatic to shame.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO the M14 wasfinest evolutionof the full size/power battle rifle.
It was so great that it was the standard issue rifle for what? 2Years?

Patton would've probably laughed if he saw an M16.
Doubtful. The M1 was a radical design in its time as was the M16 when it was introduced. The M16 has already been a standard issue military rifle for twice as long as the M1 and M14 were combined.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mavwreck1975

Patton would've probably laughed if he saw an M16. The M14/M1A on the other hand.... IMHO the M14 wasfinest evolutionof the full size/power battle rifle. Putsthe5.56jamomatic to shame.
I agree with you. I notice that now, when the military really needs a rifle that will kill something that is not a mere 50 feet away, many M14's have been taken out of the cosmolineand re-issued to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan!

WARNING!! WAR STORY AHEAD!!

When I arrived in RVN in 1967 as an "advisor", MACV issued me an M2 carbine and 90 rounds of ammo (three banana clips). When I got to where I would be "advising", I found a Special Forces "A" team not too far away. So I went visiting them to see what kind of real weapons I could "requisition". There were some things I had that they needed, and vice-versa. So I managed to acquire an M1911A1 and an M14 "on loan".

So I "goo'ed up" that ancientM2 carbine with LSA, and stored it in a wall locker. When I left country a year later, I returned the carbine in pristine condition. The supply sergeant looked at it and said "no-one has ever returned a weapon as clean and nice as this one." I said "sarge, take care of your weapon and it will take care of you." Little did he know that I had never used it ONE TIME! The same cannot be said for that M14, however..........

We have Curtis LeMay to thank for the M16. He was at a picnic one day, and was impressed by the way a .222 Remington that someone had along blew up watermelons, and decided he wanted a rifle in that caliber to issue to the USAF (if it could penetrate a steel pot at 500 yards with FMJ ball ammo). The rest, as they say, is history!

IMO, there's nothing LeMay didn't know about using airplanes to totally destroy evil countries, but his expertise about what an INFANTRYMAN needs in combat left something to be desired. To me there is little doubt that the M14, in 1960, was a better weapon than the M16 was in 1965! Yes, it takes more storage space and vehicles to keep an M14 in ammunitionthan for an M16, but in those days, that was the M16's only realselling point-easier logistics! Maybe they're better now, I don't know. Still don't LIKE them, however!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Right on! I'd rather have a few less highlyeffective rounds in a rugged/reliable weapon than a few moreweaker roundsin a weapon known for its unreliability. The modern M16 is still very prone to jamming.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mavwreck1975

Right on! I'd rather have a few less highlyeffective rounds in a rugged/reliable weapon than a few moreweaker roundsin a weapon known for its unreliability. The modern M16 is still very prone to jamming.
As I said before, my vote was for the M14, but... I've never had a single jam in my AR-15. To be fair, I've never used it in real combat conditions, but, it's seen some range time, some hunting time, and a number of IPSC three gun matches and has never missed a beat, even with cheap-o ammo.

Quick Reply: best military weapon of all time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.