Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 t/c

Old 04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 t/c

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Whomever rechambered this barrel to 300RUM is the idiot responsible for the explosion.

The chamber is only 1" in diameter on the encore barrelsand the RUM case is .553" and that leaves .220" of steel to surround the cartridge. No wonder it exploded.

This is why TC does not chamber the RUM's. They aren't designed to handle this kind of pressure.
Very good points. I have a Virgin Valley Encore barrel in 300 WSM, BUT it is a full bull contour. The VVG guys also recommended that I only shoot factory ammo and not hot reloads due to pressure issues.

It is just fortunate that no one was hurt in the explosion of this barrel.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hate to see it blamed on T/C. They are good guns, but as shown here, they are not idiot proof.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL You cant mandate, preach, or teach common sense...
Old 04-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know. My dad kept telling me that and now my wife does too.Where you been keeping yourself? Probably a gun buying trip?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Things can and do go wrong, I have personally seen a Winchester M70 blow apart, does that mean that they are (were) overpriced? My shooting partner came away with a few minor cuts, the rifle destroyed.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Gunsmiths swear that a fluted barrels are more ridged than octagon barrels I dissagree. I think the problem started in the chamber on this one though. Bigbulls is right somebody thought they could push the limits and almost paid highly for it.