Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm rem mag

Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Default RE: 7mm rem mag

ok i useda 7.mm Rem.mag once last week at tha range and it had a considerable amount of recoil but the accuracy was directly on target so i dont kno if its just me but i like tha 7.mm Rem. magjust fine.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

It won't do anything that a 270 or 30-06 can't do. It shoot's a little flatter. But if you're good enough to hit a target at 300-500 yds with a 7Mag, you can just hold 2" higher and hit it with a 30-06. Off hand, I don't think it's any flatter than a 270.

Recoil is about like a 30-06, but it's MUCH louder, and I don't like that. Also, a box of ammo costs $10 more than a 30-06 or 270.

Don't get me wrong. The 7Mag drops critters like lightening, but so will the others...for less $ and less noise.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kicks less than an '06 and shoots twice as flat.....OK, that might have been an exaggeration. But, to me they do kick less than an '06 and I'm willing to bet, you will like a 7mag
Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no problems taking my 7mm rem mag for anything I hunt here in Sask. - antelope to moose it has always performed JFL. Recoil is subjective but it it boils down to fit, stock design and weight of the rifle IME. My 7 rem mag feels less then my partners 280rem all based on fit alone to my shoulder. In fact I feel my 270's more then my 7 rem mag based on the same premise(though they don't pose any problems either).

I like the Rem Mag over the 06' as an all arounder b/cI can push it faster and flatter while not giving up anything on larger game. Nothing wrong with the 270win, while Ihave used it for more then deer it does give up some to either the 06' or 7mm rem mag.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The performance of the .270 Win. is only slightly less than that of the 7Mag. I hunted with the 7Mag for 20 yrs., and everything I killed with it died quick. I have also killed deer with my .270. They died quick also. I fully realize that such things as stock design, total gun weight, type of load you are shooting, etc., all affect felt recoil. I will still say that I feel the 7Mag delivers more recoil than the .270. I don't feel either the .270 or the 7Mag will deliver as much as a stiff-loaded 30-06 with 220 gr. bear loads.
All in all, the subject of real or perceived recoil has a lot of variables. You should make an effort to try a like gun and see if it is manageable to you. Guns are individuals as are people. I have an old 725 Rem. in .280 that just plain rattles my teeth and causes blurred vision with a mid-range load. My 77 Ruger in the same cal. doesn't seem to bother me at all. Go figure........
Old 04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to moose hunt with a .338 win mag for years and about 3 years ago switched to a 7mm rem mag and love the thing. It has so far dropped caribou, moose, deer, pronghorn like a lightning bolt. All one shot instant kills. As for recoil as already said its similar to hot loaded .3006. Having said all this if you only use it for deer sized game then you might as well get a .270 or .2506 since the extra weight and recoil will be wasted on deer sized game.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went through the caliber decision a couple months ago (it took me 3 months to decide! ).

I ended up with the 7mm Rem Mag because of the variety of factory ammo that would work for big game (Elk). My rifle will primarily be used for deer but I do plan to occasionally hunt elk with it and don't want to have to buy a different rifle for the few times I hunt elk. With the .30-06 most factory ammo hasfewer choices in big game loads than the 7mm Rem Mag and most of those aren't very flat shooting. The 7mm Rem Mag had more energy at 300 yards than the .30-06 and does shoot flatter and faster. The recoil isn't bad and you can add a recoil pad for $30 and then the recoil isn't bad at all.

What it came down to for me was that I had always wanted a 7mm Rem Mag so I bought one, but there isn't a giant difference between a .30-06 and a 7mm Rem Mag.

As far as a .270, most ammo manufacturers don't have any ammo in .270 rated as Class 3 (Big Game). Some people will tell you a .270 is fine for elk but if the ammunition manufacturer doesn't think enough of it to call it Class 3 ammo then I don't want to be out there shooting at Class 3 animals with it.

Federal Premium Ammunition lists 9 available choices in .270 Win - all are rated as Class 2, they list 14 choices in .30-06 with 5 of those being Class 3 and the rest Class 2, and they list 11 choices in 7mm Rem Mag with 7 of those being Class 3 and the rest Class 2.

As far as ammuntion costs, there may be some el cheapo .30-06 ammo that is $10 a box cheaper than decent 7mm Rem Mag ammo, but for most of the premium ammo there is less than $5 a box difference. I actuallyfound some el cheapo 7mm Rem Mag ammo for $16 a box (hollow points for varmints) and I haven't seen any .30-06 ammo for $6 have you?

But like others have said, a .270 Win is an EXCELLENT deer and antelope rifle. If you aren't going to be using it for Elk it will flat out reach out and touch it.

My 2 cents. Nathan
Old 04-10-2007, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: npaden

I went through the caliber decision a couple months ago (it took me 3 months to decide! ).

I ended up with the 7mm Rem Mag because of the variety of factory ammo that would work for big game (Elk). My rifle will primarily be used for deer but I do plan to occasionally hunt elk with it and don't want to have to buy a different rifle for the few times I hunt elk. With the .30-06 most factory ammo hasfewer choices in big game loads than the 7mm Rem Mag and most of those aren't very flat shooting. The 7mm Rem Mag had more energy at 300 yards than the .30-06 and does shoot flatter and faster. The recoil isn't bad and you can add a recoil pad for $30 and then the recoil isn't bad at all.

What it came down to for me was that I had always wanted a 7mm Rem Mag so I bought one, but there isn't a giant difference between a .30-06 and a 7mm Rem Mag.

As far as a .270, most ammo manufacturers don't have any ammo in .270 rated as Class 3 (Big Game). Some people will tell you a .270 is fine for elk but if the ammunition manufacturer doesn't think enough of it to call it Class 3 ammo then I don't want to be out there shooting at Class 3 animals with it.

Federal Premium Ammunition lists 9 available choices in .270 Win - all are rated as Class 2, they list 14 choices in .30-06 with 5 of those being Class 3 and the rest Class 2, and they list 11 choices in 7mm Rem Mag with 7 of those being Class 3 and the rest Class 2.

As far as ammuntion costs, there may be some el cheapo .30-06 ammo that is $10 a box cheaper than decent 7mm Rem Mag ammo, but for most of the premium ammo there is less than $5 a box difference. I actuallyfound some el cheapo 7mm Rem Mag ammo for $16 a box (hollow points for varmints) and I haven't seen any .30-06 ammo for $6 have you?

But like others have said, a .270 Win is an EXCELLENT deer and antelope rifle. If you aren't going to be using it for Elk it will flat out reach out and touch it.

My 2 cents. Nathan
Well stated Nate
Old 04-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would be plenty willing to bet that the 270 would be in the top five all time cartridges for taking elk. I don't need an ammo maker to tell me what they think is proper guns for elk. There are a host of good elk bullets for the 270. As there is for the 7 Mag and 30-06.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agree James, How many elk did Jack O'Conner kill with a .270??? 18 or 20 if I remember correctly...

And the original poster lives in GA...Doubt if he will need it for elk...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.