Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm rem mag

Old 04-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7mm rem mag

I have a savage 7mm ,it shoots great. i little more recoil then i like ,so i added a limbsaver recoil pad which helped alot. the major differents i see in the 7mm mag and any reg cal like the 270 or 06 is , if you hit a shoulder on a deer the mag will do major damage . i shot 2 deer in the shoulder blade and just about took the shoulder off on the other side. for most hunting in the east i'll take my 270win.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter7mm will be quick to point out that bullet fragmentation has as much to do with the choice of the bullet as the choice of what you are shooting that bullet with.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:47 PM

The 7mm Rem Mag is essentially a .270 on steroids, personally, I was never too impressed by it.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah O"Connor took all NA game including Grizzly and Brown bear plus all the plains game in Africa with the 270. For the most part he used th 130 grain bullet.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 PM

I have mod. 70 classic I wouldn't trade. But it dose have a little more recoil.
You can get use to that. Buy 1 you will be happy.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using a 7mm mag for years and love it. I also own a .270 and a 30-06 but I prefer the 7mm mag. The weight of the 7mm mag is very close to my 30-06 and my .270 is a lighter firearm. I love the long range take down power of the 7mm mag. Very flat line ballistics so 100- 300 yards no real difference. I shoot a lot, so at the range I use a recoil pad which definitely helps with the recoil. I can honestly say that when I drop the hammer with an animal in my cross hairs I have never felt the recoil. Then again...I have never felt the recoil with any firearm when harvesting an animal from the wild. All are great cal. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I recently picked up a 7-08 and fell in love with it also.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot severalmoose and elk, ranging from a bow upto 338wm. IME the 270 win is capable of this feat though particular attention must be paid to bullet construction, plusI felt the need to both limit my range and positive vital angle shots only with the .270win.One difference Ifound between the 270win and 7mm rem mag is exit wounds. I can't recall many .277 bullets that passed through the larger deer species. Though with the 7mm rem mag I have can think of only couple that didn't, in both cases they where heavy raking shots, higher MV and large moose stature. This to me equates pentration something I like on larger game. While they both worked the 7mm rem mag gives me more confidence then the 270win for the larger game.

As a OTC ammo buyer the 270win while has upped in recent years due to large thanks to the bullets developed, it still hails in comparison to the rem mag or 3006. As a reloader it, like others can be made to accomidate other then normal marketing of the cartridge.

For deer I personally haven't seen anything the 270 win can't do! Then again doesit do anything better thena 2506rem? IMO no!

Like some of you said about the 7mm RM, I just never feel in love with the 3006. I realize it's merits it is a fine cartridge, I just like my rem mag better.

Point is choices are goodand in reality the difference are often in the eyes of the beholder!

Personally never seen less damage from a 270win vs. 7mm rem mag, when the pin(s) are hit and the bullet construction/situations are equal?? Must be like the magical Ballistic Tip failures reported so frequently on the internet boards[&:].