Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

375-Ruger

Old 04-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 375-Ruger

all gun manufactures are doing now days is trying to reinvent the wheel
Since you don't like to see change in the gun industry (judging from this comment) lets talk about this wheel.

The wheel has been around for thousands of years but look at what we drive on today it certainly isn't the original wheel we had thousands of years ago. Look at what formula 1 drives on. Look at what Baja racers drive on.

If people weren't constantly trying to "reinvent the wheel" we would all still be throwing spears and rubbing sticks together to make fire.

So be glad that gun and ammo manufaturers are trying to reinvent the wheel. Casue if they weren't we wouldn't even have smokeless powder.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bravo Bigbulls - well said. All the new cartridges coming out lately including the WSMs, the 338 Federal, 375 Ruger, and the wildcats being adopted like the 6.5-284, I think is great. More toys to play with. And yes some say that these new cartridges aren't any better than the ones we already have but who cares. It givs us all another option to pick from.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you say "MARKETING". When you bring out a new product, IMO it should be some sort of improvement. The WSM group of cartridges would be an example of an improvement. For Ruger to put out a new cartridge like this, and their new rifle is strictly marketing. The rifle should have a good trigger. IMO a good trigger is not an improvement, it should already be there. Especially for $900. There is no Wheel Re-Invention here, strictly marketing.

Vanity is not a good reason to bring out a new cartridge. I just imagine that Ruger wants their name on a few cartridges. Maybe they want to be like Remington or Winchester. Tom.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

For some this new cartridge won't mean much. However one thing that sets it aside is the fact that rifles for this cartridge can be built on the standard long action. This is not true of the H&H version. Standard long actions are to short therefore not many actions will work and the cost of building an H&H are to high for the average hunter to mess with. Like the WSM's the 375 Ruger puts the same power in a shorter package. If this is not a improvement to some then they can pass on it. Its a game of inches and the shorter action will appeal to many.

I would guess there will be wildcat activity around this cartridge although most calibers do not need the shorter case to reach the magnum velocities that many require.

I have read that there is an improved trigger on the new rifle. I can't say that I will be in the market for one of these as I probably am done with hunting trips to exotic places where such cannons are needed but on the other hand, It should be a big bear stopper for sure.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

The WSM group of cartridges would be an example of an improvement.
Well by this statement alone you should be all for the 375 Ruger cause it does exactly the same thing that the WSM's did. It generates the same (or in this case higher)velocities as the "original"does but does itin a shorter and fatter case which requires a shorter receiver.

The rifle should have a good trigger.
I agree but we can all thank anti gun lobbyists, their lawyers, and the courts that don't seem to care about our rights and would rather spend time and money on frivolous law suits instead of real criminals.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

The 375 Ruger is abrand new case, notbased on any previous design so it is unique in that respect. Additionally, this is the first standard length action that is "Africa DG Legal", another first. Lastly, the Hawkeye series is a definate improvement over the RSM and previous M77. I went with the African model over the Alaska because I wanted the longer barrel.

Also, the elimination of the beltis an improvement AND the cartridge isnot a magnum,rather a lowly cartridge that any 7mm Rem rifle can be modified to shoot.

The 375 Ruger can certainly be reloaded to surpass H&H ballistics and when I look at gun prices, I am not aware of anyone producing a new 375 H&H for anywhere close to $900, unless you want a soldered-bolt green laminate rifle. If you were in considering the purchase of a .375 diameter firearm, other than fear of losing your luggage, why would you choose the H&H over the Ruger?

Good luck,
CE
Old 04-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was not attacking the 375 Ruger cartridge. I am all for new cartridges, whether they are needed or not. My point was that IMO Ruger's reasoning was marketing and sales, and not necessarily "Wheel Reinvention". After all if it was not for marketing, they would probably be out of business. I can not believe that there will be a large market for the cartridge, so I believe vanity played an important role. Tom.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I didn't pay much attention to Ruger's Website. I thought the new Alasksan and African were chambered in 375 H&H till I read this thread!

I can't seem to find any info on Ruger/Hornadys new creation of the 375 Ruger. Anyone got a link with some specs on it? I might see a new handcannon in my future......
Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

The people who buy it will be the same folks that buy the Ultra Mags and such. However I can see a place for it for big bears. Not that it would be any better than the 416 RM or H&H.
I saw some data on the Hornady site if i remember right.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 PM

I think that replacing a classic like the .375 H&H will be a tall order

Quick Reply: 375-Ruger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.