Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Single Shot Shotguns >

Single Shot Shotguns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Single Shot Shotguns

Old 03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Single Shot Shotguns

I just won a single shot shotgun from my nwtf banquet and thought that i might use it for turkeys this year. It is a 20 gauge h&r 3 inch with a modified choke. What do you guys think would this work. I have used a semi Browning Auto 5 for a few years but it is just so heavy to carry around.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single Shot Shotguns

I would get a turkey choke for the gun, modified is too small to be dependable if you're going to attempt a 40-yard shot.

For turkey hunting, I don't see how you'll be "carrying around" a turkey gun, you're sitting down, anyway, when you hunt turkeys, either in a blind or with your back to some cover or something, so weight shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I think you still gotta walk to where you're goin', and if that spot doesn't pan out, you walk somewhere else. I've found very few gobblers wait to find out where I'm gonna be in the morning, and then head over there. Yes, weight is a factor, as it is in most all hunting situations. It also becomes more of a factor as you grow older.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Younggun-I'm pretty sure it has a fixed choke-thus choke tubes are not a option unless doing more gunsmith work(reaming,drilling,etc) than the gun is worth. With modified choke,you need to pattern it and STRICTLY stay within range of decent pattern. I'm guessing within 35 yards at most.