Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Setup for long range shooting ? >

Setup for long range shooting ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Setup for long range shooting ?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Setup for long range shooting ?

I’m in the process of getting things organized for my range and would like some info as per size of board to use for setting up at 300 or 400 yard distance. I used to below to a gun club that was set up for only 200 yards and they had a 2x4 frame with a 4’ x 4’ ( approx.) corrugated plastic sheet to staple the targets to. Now, when shooting at 300 or 400 yards, would this do or should I go bigger on the size of board. Any info would be appreciated...
Old 04-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Setup for long range shooting ?

4 x 4 should be plenty big. I use one that's about 2 x3 myself.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM

4x4 will be plenty. 2x2 is enough for any shooter that is good enough to shoot that distance. I like the 4x4 idea though. You can fit more targets on it so you have less walking time to change them. The gun club i go to uses the sheets of foam insulation to staple the targets to. I think they are 6x4.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I have never target practiced past 200 yards I thought 4’ x 4’ would have been minimum. The reason I say this , is to allow for bullet drop or wind drift. How does one know unless you practice, and to have the bullet miss the board altogether doesn't help at all. I’ll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks guys...
Old 04-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

my target stand holds a 40" cardboard circle
RR
What power scope do you use for shooting and how large is the 40” circle at 400 or 500 yards through the scope? Is it still a small dot or good size circle in view with the scope?...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're shooting good groups at 100 yds and can't hit a 2' x 2' board at 300, then something is drastically wrong, even with a bit of wind. Try it, I think you'll be surprised. Of course, there's absolutely no reason why a 4 x 4backer board wouldn't work,I just find that 2 x 2 is all I need.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:24 PM

My local range i ssetup for 400 yards off a bench and also has a 60 yards "running deer" station and a clays area thats is for the public when the skeet and trap range isnt open. When I and the other members went to do the annual spring workday, we replaced the targets backs with 3/8" OSB or plywood. Most people wont be shooting slug guns past 100 yards so if you would like 3/4" to inch plywood works for bigger guns. I personally like 4'x4' backboards to give you the ability of placing up two or more targets at one distance. As for posts to hold the target backings, We sunk 4"x4" treated beams. They will last, but they cost a bit more than non-treated. You may want to make each distance progressivley higher than the previous one if you have level ground so you will be able to see every target. My range set the benches at a raised height by piling sand and fill up to about 5 feet higher than the ground level so you can see all the targets yet not effect trajectory. Generally we decide to make the shorter distances not as heavy duty becaus they mainly are used for handguns, patterning shotguns, and small bore guns like 22's. Use screws if you can so you can replace boards easy once they have been shot up. If you dont want to raise each distance higher than you can stagger them left to right and back to be ble to se them all. I would say you should need two to three bench stations so you and buddies can shoot together. Make it left hand capable if you might have leftys there. Well, if you have questions let me know.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:28 PM

There is no need for anything larger then a 2x2 backer at 400 yards unless you are like me and want to put up multiple targets at once. If you think about it if your gunshoots 2in groups at 100 yards thenit will be shooting 8in groups at 400 yards. even with wind your bullt isnt going to drip too far.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like 4x4 they give you more target space.Your first shots will be a test for ya,so give yourself some time to get use to it.I have a 6x18 scope that works for me,just make sure you get target cross hairs.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My mother always told me that if I couldn't say something nice not to say anything at all. I will leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Setup for long range shooting ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.