Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How do you break in a new rifle? >

How do you break in a new rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
Strict Break In (clean after each shot for first 20+ rounds)
18.00%
Moderate Break In (clean after each 3 or 5 shot group)
34.00%
Break In, What's that? (treat a new gun like any other)
48.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How do you break in a new rifle?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you break in a new rifle?

I was going to post this in the gun forum but it doesn't allow polls for some reason. I've read a ton of stuff on breaking in a new gun and was wanting to get a feel for how the average hunter breaks in a new rifle. I want it to be asaccurate as possible but it seems to me that some of the break in procedures seem a little over the top.

I'm about to push some rounds down the barrel of my new rifle this weekend so I thought now would be a good time for a poll on the subject. I've read as strict as shooting the first 20 rounds through one at a time and stoping and cleaning after each shot and only pushing the rod down the barrel and not going back and forth, to just firing away and cleaning it after the first 50 rounds.

I'm leaning toward doing a moderate break in where I shoot, open the bolt and let it breathe a minute or so, repeat, repeat, then cleaning the barrel normally after each 3 shot group.

The gun I will be breaking in is a Browning A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag.

If you have specifics you want to share that would be great.

Thanks, Nathan
Old 03-16-2007, 05:05 PM

Default RE: How do you break in a new rifle?

I'm sure me and RidgeRunner are the only one's that voted for strict break in.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always cleaned after 5or 6 shots with my rifle the accuracy would start to suffer.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:26 AM

How about cleaning the bore when you get it new, taking it to the range, firing it 10-30 times, cleaning it, and then firing it some more.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Throw it in the dirt!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I went with a combination of strict and moderate break in. I cleaned it after each of the first 4 shots then used the copper stuff (some foam stuff that the gun range sold) then cleaned after then next 4 shots then used the copper stuff and then shot 3 shots, cleaned, 3 shots, cleaned, 3 shots, cleaned, 3 shots, cleaned then copper stuff again after the entire box. I was shooting the cheapest ammo they had (winchester 150 grain power points for $26.25 a box - I'll remember to buy a box before I go next time). I was somewhat disappointed in my final 2 3 shot groups but it was cheap ammo and it is a new rifle and I was at the end of a box of 20 shells. The 2nd to last was a 1.75" group that was about 3" high at 100 yards but about right left to right. Then I adjusted the scope down 2" and the last group was 2.25" and it was about 1" low and about 2" left.

I wasn't getting any blue on my patches other than the very first time so not sure if that means the barrel didn't really need broken in or what. I'm hoping that next time I can improve on those groups quite a bit next time out and get it hitting a little closer to where I want it. After the first 8 shots, pretty much all of them would have been a kill on a deer at 100 yards, but I would like to feel a LOT more confident at 100 yards and be able to push it on out to 300 yards hitting inside the black.

Just thought I would give my official report!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

STRICT BREAKIN!! Use a cleaning rod and Lapping compound after each shot....the whole idea behind breaking in a rifle barrel is to polish the lands and groves and at the same time removing any imperfections inside the barrel...
Old 03-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you are breaking in a barrel you can not worry about groups. You have done well ,but the barrel will take closer to 50 - 100 rounds to be broken in completely.
you can work your way to cleaning after 5-7 shots if you are not getting copper fouling.
If you do want to try for a better group ,after a good cleaning push clean patches thru until you see nothing on them ,then fire a fouling shot off to the side of your target then shoot three more and check you size .
Good luck
Old 03-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can honestly say this is the first time I've heard of it.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

First off this should be posted in either the GUNS or FIREARMS REVIEW forums.

But, in response, I really don't know why you didn't include how far to shoot with a new barrel in your poll.

I have said it before and I'm saying it again. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to breaking in a new barrel is to NOT SHOOT TOO FAR UNTIL IT IS ADEQUATELY BROKEN IN (no matter how you choose to breal it in).

Rule of thumb..........

1st 20 shots or so - no further than 25-40 yards.

Then after cleaning, next 20 shots or so - no further than 50-75 yards.

Another cleaning and then the next shots - go out to like 125-150 yards.

Then clean again and you're good to go.

If you just go out and start shooting 200 yards, you will suffer what is called stretching.

I know those who haven't done thisor heard of itmight question the logic behind it, but those who do practice it are usually firm believers.

Quick Reply: How do you break in a new rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.