Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best deal you ever got on a gun? >

Best deal you ever got on a gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best deal you ever got on a gun?

Old 12-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best deal you ever got on a gun?

Two mint Browning BLR 81s, one in 7mm/08 wearing a Leupold 2-7x Compact, the other in .284 Win with a Leupold 3-9x Compact. Paid a total of $650.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 12-12-2002, 01:49 PM

I walked into a gunstore once and saw a side x side shotgun. Turned out the guy who left it on consignment was still in the store. He wanted $100 for it and I didn't have to go through the shop with the deal. Turned out he is a friend of one of my best friend's dad's. It's a 3" 311 Stevens shotgun. Works great.

Shane Marquardt
Old 12-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best deal wasn't really a purchase but a barter deal. My father-in-law told me I could have his 1928 Savage 99f take-down in 300 Savage. All he asked for in return was that I work on his old Model '06 Winchester pump .22. When he gave me the Winchester to begin work it was in an old leather case and had been in his attic for years. It was rusted (surface) badly enough that it needed a blue. I consulted a collector and he agreed that it's value was affected enough by the rust that the re-blue wasn't an issue. Anyway, the blue job was sent to Europe b/c of the high silica content in the steel, and I re-fnished the stock. It came out beautiful!! When I presented it to my father-in-law, he demanded that he pay for it, and he wouldn't take no for and answer.
so, I bacame the owner of the Savage, and when he died 3 years later, he left me the .22. Now I own the only 2 guns he ever owned, and they will NEVER see another speck of rust (in my lifetime).

Old 12-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

hmmm, i;d say one of my most favorite deals was my 38 trooper i got from my mom;s old navy friend, she said i wouldn;t shave my beard off i said wanna bet? end of story on that one.

picked up a nice smith and wesson m41 and winchester pump 22 for hundred bucks, i told the guy i only wanted one gun he said it was a package deal so i handed over 200 and he said NO their both 100.

then i was in a local bow shop and they only had 1 rifle on the wall, a super dusty savage 99, guy that bought the store back in 92 said it came with the place, i asked him how much, he looked at the price tag from the old store that said 400, he said give me 300. i took it, then he went in the back room and came back with the box and manual, it was brand new!!! nothing super special, just a run of mill 300 savage made in the late 60's. best one i;ve seen so far though.

but the best gun deal i know of belongs to a buddy of my uncle;s called grizz. guy walks up to grizz one day at work and asks him if he wants to buy a rifle. grizz says lemme see it, guy pulls out a mint marlin take down 22 lever action, something in the 1905 era, grizz asks how much, guys says i;m kinda down on my luck and i might ask a bit too high but i;ll tell ya what i got 2 bricks of ammo i;ll throw in, gimme 30bucks,

"smile, life could be worse.. i could be datin your daughter."
Old 12-12-2002, 06:41 PM

What a great question. I've enjoyed every one of your posts. It reminds me of my father's many stories about trading 4 chickens and a pig for a pre 64 model 70 308.

My story isn't so much a great deal as it was anamazing gift. When I was about 13, I absolutely lived to hunt, still do actually. Anyway, one of my father's friends came over one day with two 22s and a 20 gauge side by side. He said he hadn't hunted in years, andthat I would put them to good use. I of course did, but being just a boy, I never really thought of their value.

As it turned out, one of the 22s and the side by side weren't worth alot, although they are great guns. The other 22 however absolutely shocked me when I got it appraised. It is a winchester model 1890, with an octagon barrel, pump action, and fix rear sight. It appraised at $8,000!!! As it is I would never sell it, but it is definately the centerpiece of my collection.

Workhorse- Hunt hard.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

My dad bought a few guns off a friend of his that was too old to hunt. He got 3 guns a Winchester model 1300 12 guage with 5 boxes of shells, a Interarms 22-250 with 3x9x40 tasco, bipod, 8 boxes of shells and a hard case, and a Anshultz 55D .22 magnum with 4x40 scope for 600.00, hell the anshultz is worth more than that now. We eventually sold the shotgun and .22 mag, biggest mistake we ever made i miss that 22. Back in the summer i traded the interarms evenly for a remington 700 BDL 7mm rem mag, that was the best deal i have ever got.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought two shotguns from a guy I worked with sight unseen for $70.00 .He brought me a Winchester model 12 in 20ga and a a-5 Browning sweet16 . He didn't like guns and just wanted to get rid of them . They were from his fathers estate.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:46 AM

on price wise i never got a awsome deal. but for me it would have to be my F.N, mauser in 35whelen for only $450.00.

Old 12-15-2002, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

New in box Weatherby Mark V 7mm STW Accumark, 100 pieces of brass, Redding Deluxe die set, and Leupold mounts for $995.00. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:36 AM

I once got a browning auto5 belgum made for $100.00
I took it and gave the man the money before he could change his mind.
I am hunting with it this year. it was made in 1925.great shape,shoots good. I think I will retire it this year.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Quick Reply: Best deal you ever got on a gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.