Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 BIG! Predator Protection! (B.P.P) >

BIG! Predator Protection! (B.P.P)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BIG! Predator Protection! (B.P.P)

Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM

Default BIG! Predator Protection! (B.P.P)

I have been researching this on the net for sometime and it really is frustrating not being able to find an answer to a supposed simple question. What (preferably handgun) firearm would make the best backcountry large predator and critter protection?
I have ran across many opinions some I agree with and some I don't but mainly what I am looking for is a firearm that I can rely on if im backpacking and need to fend off a hungry/angry/rabid beasty.
Some people say a 10mm will do others a .45cal with a large clip..some say bear spray will work but with my luck a stiff wind would blow the bear repellant right back into my face so thats not really an option that I want to chance my life on. I am looking for something preferably small,light and packs a big punch. Most guys I have talked to in Alaska say 12 guage with slugs and 00 would deter a bear the most and thats what they carry...but I was just wondering is there a handgun caliber that you feel you could trust your life with to drop a polar bear on an ice pack or a grizz thats been surprised in some tall grass meadow in the Alaskan outdoors.

I guess it all boils down to shot placement also not just the size of the bullet/shell...but the more lead flying into the target the better I would think.

Any input is welcome and thanks for the help.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 PM

Default RE: BIG! Predator Protection! (B.P.P)

get one of them RPGs that seem so easily had in other parts of the world

hehe couldn't resist
Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my choice, and its easily concealable

Old 03-13-2007, 05:20 AM

Metal, lol do they make rocket launchers in a concealed carry size? lol

Rammer, is that a BFG? I was looking at the new S&W 500's but I just cant make up my mind if a handgun would be the smart choice here...practice practice practice would be the rule i'm sure because you wouldn't have much time if the predator is charging you. A nice pistol sized shotty with a 10 shot clip loaded with slugs and 00 would be ideal!

These would be a great backup weapons but you need a Fed Tax Stamp to own them due to the size.

Super Shorty

Tromix
Old 03-13-2007, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I think the S&W 329PD 44mag would fillthe bill. Just about the lightest .44 on the planet. Much easier to carry than a scattergun, though maybe not as much punch either. Just my 2 cents. Brett
Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 AM

ORIGINAL: hunter5325
Yea, I saw those..I have actually held one and they are really light. I never shot it though.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The pistol I posted is a BFR. Its a Magnum Research in 45/70. Its not mine, one of my hunters left it here with me for the year to play with. Its actually quite pleasant to shoot, but I sure wouldn't want to pack it anywhere.

After firing numerous 500 S&Ws, that would be my choice, or a shotgun with the bare minimum length barrel and a folding pistol grip stock.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM

Yea, I haven't shot a 500 S&W (yet) but I was looking at this one.

I was also looking at a Deagle but it would be so friggin heavy I could carry a 12 guage and it would weigh the same lol.

Anyone ever own a Deagle?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I wanted a very powerful but packable handgun for dangerous game protection there are really only a coupleI would consider.

#1. Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag, 480 Ruger or 454 Cassull.

#2. S&W emergency survival kit in 500S&W or 460S&W.

#3. S&W emergency survival kit model 629ES in 44 Rem mag.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:41 PM

I really think if I was going to look for a big bear protection weapon I would look for a long gun. Probably a Lever in a cal 35 or larger.

As for me I can shoot a rifle better than a pistol (I bet this is true of about 95% of folks)and once I start getting to the kind of pistol I would want to aim at a 800 LB+ bear I might as well sling a Marlin guide gun.

Quick picks would be a Guide gun in 45/70 or 450, BLR in 358. or even an 94AE in 356 or 375.

I know that lots of people reccomend a shotgun and I am sure it would work. However, once nice thing about a rifle is you can load it down and do some serious practice. if you blast tin cans for a couple of hundred rounds a yearyou be much more likely to be on target when you need to be on a bear.

For the Lower 48 I would be more worried about two legged preditors and a autoloading handgun in 40, 10mm or 45 would be my choice.

My woods carry? a 4 5/8 blackhawk in 45 colt 250g cast bullet at 1000fps. Why?... because I like it

Quick Reply: BIG! Predator Protection! (B.P.P)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.