Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 cutting and recrowning a barrel >

cutting and recrowning a barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cutting and recrowning a barrel

Old 03-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default cutting and recrowning a barrel

I have a 6.5 swed with a 29.75 that will shoot .75 groups. I want to cut and recrown the barrel to 25 inchs it is to frunt heavy to carry my? is will this hurt the acc. in any way thanks for the help
Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cutting and recrowning a barrel

If done properly it just might improve upon the accuracybut done wrong will cause problems.It will also have a slight effect velocity.

Just remember anything you do to the barrel is going to effect it's harmonics, if its shoot a particular load well it might change and then again it might not. just my $.02
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: renfrowridge

I have a 6.5 swed with a 29.75 that will shoot .75 groups. I want to cut and recrown the barrel to 25 inchs it is to frunt heavy to carry my? is will this hurt the acc. in any way thanks for the help
If the cutis done well, and the crowning job is precise, it certainly won't hurt the rifle's accuracy. Try to find a riflesmith who does varmint rifle work to get a good job done.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:02 AM
bigcountry

Should hurt accuracy, but the same load you used in it might not shoot as well. You might have to build a new load or try a different brand of factory.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

shorter barrel will increase the stiffness and decrease the mass... The natural frequency and associated frequencies of vibration will be altered... might make a big difference might not...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

what would be the best lenght to cut it off to I dont want it shorter than 24 inchs but could be 25 , 26 what do you think. noproblem working up a load because I hand load
Old 03-13-2007, 07:47 AM

You don't need that long of a barrel. I would think that 24" is plenty. You can buy Recrowners from brownells. they are made by Dave Manson Precision I'm pretty certain. You can hacksaw of your barrell to approximately 24 1/4" then crown it to 24. They work really slick look into it:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7718&title=PRECISION+REAM ERS+MUZZLE+CROWN+REFACING+TOOL
Old 03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use a pipecutter, it will cut the barrel perfectly square. A hacksaw will work too, but getting a square cut with one is not very easy.
Chuck up a carriage bolt with a head that has a larger diameter than the barrel in a drill. plug the barrel with some rags/patches. Apply valave grinding compound to the bolt head and grind away at the muzzle at slow speed, use an orbital motion with the drill so that it cuts evenly. I've done this with a few barrels on surplus rifles that had the rifling worn down near the muzzle, all with good results.