Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Selling a Handgun On line >

Selling a Handgun On line

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Selling a Handgun On line

Old 03-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Selling a Handgun On line

I live in PA and I was thinking about selling a handgun online at gun broker or Guns of America. Have any of you guys done this before? From what I can tell when you get a buyer you have them fax you a copy of the FFL they want you to ship the gun to and you can ship it directly to them using Fdex or UPS. I was thinking I might take it to a local gun shop and let them ship it to be safe. I don't want to trade it in on something for half price when I could sell it my self. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Selling a Handgun On line

Unless it's changed.....You must get a signed copy from theFFL it's being sent to.When you have the signed FFL UPS will ship it to that dealer.Be prepared UPS requires handguns to be shipped overnite air. Very expensive.You would probably be better off shipping it through your dealer.A FFL dealer can mail handguns through USPS where individuals can't.Make sure you keep a record and insure it.I've never used Fed Ex.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I reread your post.I'm almost positive aFaxed FFLis not acceptable. It must be a copy signed in Black ink mailed.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You must ship to an FFL. I request a copy of their license in advance. I do not know if you have to have it or not, but I still request it. I also always ship the pistol requiring a signature at the other end. I think this is a safety net for me. You can use an FFL on your end, but it is not necessary. USPS says they will not ship. I have had them ship a few. I took the pistol to post office for shipping. When they refused to ship the pistol, I told them I wanted them to put the denial in writing. They would not put it in writing, and then they shipped it. They did not want to, but they did it. We need to stand up to these people. It is a bunch of BS that UPS makes you ship over night. Their original excusewas that too many pistols were being stolen by their own employees. Now that is a bunch of crap.

When I buy firearms off the net, I have them shipped to a local dealer. He accepts a faxed FFL. Tom.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Ship dealer to dealer.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ship all firearms through the USPS with no problems, and I am 99.9% sure that the law/rule changed recently allowing FFL's to be faxed. Selling any gun online is not rocket science, but it is becoming more of a pain in the a**. I generally try to sell mine locally or on a message board classified first, and if that doesn't work, I put them on consignment with my local dealer.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll ship it from a local dealer just to cover my *ss.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

I recently (Jan 07) did a dealer-to-dealer transfer and the FFL was faxed and the only thing that was required was that it was signed and legible.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 AM

The BATF does allow faxed FFL's. So a faxed or mailed hard copy are perfectly legal.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Shipping Guns
You must ship complete working guns [not parts] from a UPS company owned center,
and not a private shipping center. At times UPS shipping centers will not ...
www.gunfancy.com/shipping_guns.htm
NewWindow·www.gunfancy.com/shipping_guns.htm][/url]SimilarSites·AlexaInfo·www.gunfancy.com/shipping_guns.htm+UPS+and+shipping+Guns&hl=en][/url]CachedPage·ArchivedPage

Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies ofany state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.

The Myth of Higher Handgun Shipping Costs
[hr]

Note: The following information applies to shipping handguns from dealer to dealer. If you aren't a dealer it still may help you decide if your local dealer is charging you properly. For information on non-dealer firearm shipping please see the BATF Site and my Interstate Firearms and Transfers page.
There are a lot of people writing and talking about how it now costs more to ship handguns. Vendors at gun shows are even trying to jack up prices for "the new shipping costs." One article in the NAFLD publication even called the higher costs a "tax" upon the industry.
Anyone who tells you it now costs more to ship handguns is either lying to you, trying to rip you off, or is just buying all this nonsense without complaint and passing on his/her lack of interest as a cost to you.
Yes, it's true, UPS does now insist on next day air for handguns and some of the others like Fedex either have such a policy or likely will follow along. But there are still excellent alternatives to paying for UPS next day air:
[ul][*]Is has been, still is, and will be legal to ship any handgun from one licensee to another via the United States Postal Service. You can pick from Parcel Post, Priority Mail, or Express Mail at excellent rates. [/ul]
[ul][*]Emery Worldwide has no service restrictions and offers next day, 2nd day, 4th day, etc. [/ul]
[ul][*]Update 1/16/2002: The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has partnered with FedEx, the leader in overnight and ground parcel delivery. The NSSF FedEx Program combines the purchasing power of nearly 2,000 NSSF members to provide those members
with substantial savings opportunities on FedEx Priority and Standard Overnight Letters and Packages, FedEx International Services, FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery. "Our new partnership with FedEx is significant for NSSF members for several reasons," said NSSF Development Director Chris Dolnack. "First and foremost, it offers significant savings that go right to their bottom line. Second, FedEx wants to do business with our industry. Unlike UPS, which declined to offer NSSF its association program, FedEx will ship all firearms, including handguns. This program provides all NSSF members with real savings and the convenience of single
billing for all their delivery needs. And if you already have an existing FedEx account, it's just a matter of completing a one-page enrollment
agreement to start saving immediately." NSSF members may enroll by contacting Shane Hotchkiss at 203-426-1320 or by e-mail at
[email protected].[/ul]
No one is forcing any dealer or distributor to ship UPS. If your distributor, or the distributor your dealer uses still wants to ship your order UPS and wants to charge you for next day air, ask them just what is their problem?? "Oh, we would have to drive to the Post Office!" Gee, that would be awful, well worth another $30 per gun. And USPS would be glad to pick up Express Mail packages for a minor fee.
And let's identify what UPS is really saying to us. They will take explosives and dangerous chemicals and poisons -- but they restrict pistols, which pose no risk to their personnel. What they are really saying is that handguns are evil and they want them out of their system in a day so that none of our bad karma rubs off on them. I suggest we all stop using UPS for handguns, long guns, Christmas presents -- anything. If they don't want us, we can live without them. Even if you want next day air -- call FedEx.
Shipping Handguns Via USPS From Dealer to Dealer
Yes, but if I ship a handgun via USPS I need a form 1508 and they can't be found and are so hard to fill out. Bull!! Want one? Click right here and you'll have it in a few seconds. Print it, cut on the marks, take about 30 seconds to fill it out, and you are all set. (You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files -- if you don't have it, click here.)
It's really just that simple. A simple form, you don't have to show anyone's FFL. Oh no, all the gun "experts" have written about having your license and a copy of the receivers license and filling out these two other forms -- Bull****! And if you think I'm wrong, just show me it in the USPS Domestic Mail Manual, you can get a copy below. Have any of these "experts" read it? I doubt so. I have, I've shipped many guns via USPS, and all an FFL holder needs is a 1508 that you certify all is well, and not one thing else (other than the gun and your money).
If the clerk is puzzled, just get him or her to open their Domestic Mail Manual to chapter C024. Or even better -- take along your own copy by clicking here (Adobe Acrobat Reader is required). I just shipped a pistol from a branch that had never seen a form 1508 before, and it only took about 2 minutes. And note I mailed it on 11/24, the day before Thanksgiving, and they delivered it on the other coast on 11/26. That is when UPS Next Day Air would have delivered, but I only paid $3.20 plus insurance!
So don't put up with the "now it costs more" crap. And tell UPS where they can stick all their packages.

Quick Reply: Selling a Handgun On line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.