HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Benelli SBE???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/184072-benelli-sbe.html)

Blueditch42 03-10-2007 09:48 PM

Benelli SBE????

anyone shoot a sbe II? what do you like and dislike about it? I will be purchasing a new auto soon. would just like some opinions about it.

retrieverman 03-11-2007 08:16 AM

RE: Benelli SBE????

My first question to anyone wanting a SBE is: are you REALLY going to shoot 3.5" shells? If the answer is no or maybe sometime, I would go with a Super 90. From the large group of people that I know that have SBE guns, VERY FEW shoot 3.5" shells, and the ones that do admit that there is not really enough difference in 3 to 3.5" to justify the price. I have goose hunted with alot of guys that shoot 3.5" shells, and at the end of the day, my body count is as high or higher shooting 3" shells out of my Super 90.

The SBE is a great gun for shooting heavy ammo, but if you intend to shoot light loads, it can be finicky. I have a cousin that has a SBE that will shoot anything, but my former boss had one that would not cycle 1 1/8 oz ammo consistently.

My son just bought a SBE against my advice, but he bought his used and got a great deal on it. At the price he paid, he won't loose money if he doesn't like it.

MinnFinn 03-16-2007 09:19 PM

I have a SBE II that I bought last fall. I like it a lot for hunting waterfowl especially. It's good for goose and late season northern flight mals.
But I've also shot Benelli M1 Super 90 for about 8 years and really like it as a fine all around waterfowl, upland game and shoot sporting clays.

The comment about 1 1/oz shells is a bit puzzling. The oz. of shot has nothing to do with how it cycles rounds. However, I would shoot 3 1/8 to 3 1/4 dram powder for trap/sporting clay shells. They tell you to do so in the user manual. There's also a break in period to get the action handling low trap or sporting clay rounds. I'd shot your first year with the 3 1/4 dram for them. Or if you're just using for upland or waterfowl, shoot whatever standard or magnum shells you like. You'll be happy with it.

Rammer 03-16-2007 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

My first question to anyone wanting a SBE is: are you REALLY going to shoot 3.5" shells? If the answer is no or maybe sometime, I would go with a Super 90. From the large group of people that I know that have SBE guns, VERY FEW shoot 3.5" shells, and the ones that do admit that there is not really enough difference in 3 to 3.5" to justify the price. I have goose hunted with alot of guys that shoot 3.5" shells, and at the end of the day, my body count is as high or higher shooting 3" shells out of my Super 90.

The SBE is a great gun for shooting heavy ammo, but if you intend to shoot light loads, it can be finicky. I have a cousin that has a SBE that will shoot anything, but my former boss had one that would not cycle 1 1/8 oz ammo consistently.

My son just bought a SBE against my advice, but he bought his used and got a great deal on it. At the price he paid, he won't loose money if he doesn't like it.
I couldn't agree more! If your shooting turkeys alot and need 3.5" shells get one, if your shooting geese and your sky busting get a 10 gauge. A 3.5" 12 gauge shell has no advantages worth the difference in price over 3" shells. It does have a little longer shot string, but not enough to make a difference.

c web 03-17-2007 07:01 AM

he was propably talking about dram,and mine new did the same thing. but now after broke in i am pretty sure it would cycle anything. the gun kicks like a mule but cycles as fast as you can pull the trigger. love mine, and i do see a difference in 3.5s and need them. the only downfall is i think a guy would get a better full choke than stock. stock is fine for like late season pheasents but dont see the real tight pattern you would like for turkeys.

MinnFinn 03-17-2007 06:51 PM

Shooting a 3.5" or 10 guage is not equivalent to "sky-busting". My experience is that you put more shot / in. on big birds like Canada Giants and heavily feather norther mallard late season at 30-40 yds and your much more likely to bring them right down instead of see them sail.

10 guages are just pretty much history since the introduced 3.5" chambered shotguns. You can also get much more variety of factory ammo with them than 10 guage.

I don't shot it exclusively by any means. I hunt a lot with my Benelli M1 3" for a lot of early duck and pheasants. But the SBE II is a nice addition for the reasons stated. I don't find either of my Benellis to kick a great deal. Maybe it's just my focus is on the target or the birds. I really think the interia bolt system does take up some of that recoil and the SBE II and M2 have the recoil dampening built into the stock and butt cushion material.

retrieverman 03-17-2007 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

I don't shot it exclusively by any means. I hunt a lot with my Benelli M1 3" for a lot of early duck and pheasants. But the SBE II is a nice addition for the reasons stated.
I am not sure Blueditch42 is looking at the SBE as a "nice addition", but if he is, I will retract everything that I have posted. A 3.5" gun IS a nice addition to an arsenal, but if he is looking for a primary shotgun, it seems that we are pretty much in agreement that the M1 Super 90 might be a better choice.

Blueditch42 03-17-2007 08:23 PM

I have a nova, but i am wanting to get a auto. plus i shoot left handed and there arent too many guns that are left handed. And i love my nova so i want to stick to benelli. mainly for turkey hunting also.

MinnFinn 03-19-2007 04:23 PM

I agree. If I had just one shotgun for hunting waterfowl and upland birds I'd probably stick with M1 Super 90, if you find one still. I'm wondering if they replaced production of them with M2 now. Still I'd even buy a good used one. From my experience they seem to hold up very well with many cases of shells through them.

c web 03-19-2007 04:31 PM

i never noticed the kick until i patterned the gun for turkeys. you are right never notice it when actually hunting.