Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Dear GOD...PLZ HELP >

Dear GOD...PLZ HELP

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Dear GOD...PLZ HELP

Old 03-10-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Dear GOD...PLZ HELP

how does a poor kid aford a good scope....i look everywhere for a 4-16x scope and cant find one under $200 that is a name brand...it would go on a 300 win mag or 30-06 idk if i wil get a pakage but i hope there isnt all **** scopes i can afford.... HELP?...i want dependablilty but is that posible in this price range?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dear GOD...PLZ HELP

This is March. Hunting season doesn't open until the fall. Save your money and buy yourself a good scope. Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 scopes run about $600 and are the best glass for the money in my opinion.

I have used a Tasco 4-16, and I can assure you that the Conquest will give you 30 min+/- more shooting time in the morning and evening.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

how far and what are ya shooting?? a 4-16 could be overkill. after having bad expiriences with a cheap scope(costing me and causing me to wound and loose deer that year) i will never put cheap scopes on anything important that recoils. i was in the same situtation. think i was 14 or so. i cut grass all summer. saved up 150-200$ and bought me a barely used leupold vari X II 3-9x40. im lucky to know a gunshop owner...and i can tell him what i want and he will find it for a fair price. he buys alot of used guns...and people often times dont know what glass like leupolds fetch and ask for a cheap price...so he takes the good glass off the rifle and sells them seperately. told him what i was looking for and he found one. perfect condition..not a mark on it. works great. after loosing 2 deer and completely missing one i learned glass it too important to skimp on. you dont neccesarily need a 1200$ scope...i wont bash manufacturers..but will just say i wont buy cheap scopes again..
Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look for a deal on a good used scope.
Many people do not lap rings and when they mount the scope they put marks on the scope. When that scope gets sold the pirce is lower because of the marks and Burris or Leupold will still warranty it
Old 03-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: .:SCOPE:EYE:.

how does a poor kid aford a good scope....i look everywhere for a 4-16x scope and cant find one under $200 that is a name brand...it would go on a 300 win mag or 30-06 idk if i wil get a pakage but i hope there isnt all **** scopes i can afford.... HELP?...i want dependablilty but is that posible in this price range?
You might try e-bay. Older used scopes are often sold pretty reeasonably, and there are several types that are OK. Older U.S. made Weavers, Lyman All-Americans, older Redfileds, and even older Leupolds might do what you want. But I don't know about the magnification range. You might have to settle for a measly 3X-9X.

I personally use 6X fixed-power scopes on my big-game rifles except for the big-bore (.375, .416, and .45's) DANGEROUS GAME rifles.I use Leupold Compact 2.5X fixed-power or 1.5-5X variable scopes on those.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good advice from all. All I can say is rethink your rig and make sure you need the extra magnification. It can be nice to have at a long distance rifle range, but even competition shooters don't always go for that kind of power. Or snipers, for that matter. And in the field, you won't have much field of vision when you're cranked up to 16x.

I shoot my .30-06 to 200 yards fairly regularly, and never move the scope from 4x. I killed two deer at 140-150 yards within a matter of afewseconds last season because I picked up the other deer as it was about to run as soon as I looked through the scope. If it were on 9x, I doubt I could've taken two that day.

Also, check out Simmons.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

how far and what are ya shooting?? a 4-16 could be overkill.
What is it with everyone and "overkill". I just put a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50mm on a 300 Win Mag... Is this overkill?

I can use the lowest setting 6.5 for close shots, and if given the opportunity for a longer shot I can go up in magnification, and dial for elevation. Still learning the windage, that is more difficult.

Point is I only expect 1 shot at a deer, then 1 shot at an elk... maybe a followup, but the rest of the year I can target practice and shooting at 100 starts to get old. I have been practicing out to 300-400 and realize that I could hit the killzone at that range easily.

Some use a 243 and others use bigger, me as I shoot a 7 Mag and a 300 WM. I dont think there is such a thing as overkill, dead is dead is dead.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Aught Six
Also, check out Simmons.
You should read JagMagMan's thread in the Optics section before buying a Simmons.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Ha ha, one goes out and makes some money!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 PM

"I personally use 6X fixed-power scopes on my big-game rifles except for the big-bore (.375, .416, and .45's) DANGEROUS GAME rifles.I use Leupold Compact 2.5X fixed-power or 1.5-5X variable scopes on those."

Totally agree with you.Many of my rifles have fixedsix power scopes.Six power is enough for the deer and hogs that i hunt. With my 6X scoped .30-06 i have killed coyotes out to 375 yards. The last scope that i bought is a 6X42 FXIII from Leupold. It isan excellentlow light scope.

Quick Reply: Dear GOD...PLZ HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.