Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Limbsaver Recoil pad for A-Bolt Stainless Stalker? >

Which Limbsaver Recoil pad for A-Bolt Stainless Stalker?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Limbsaver Recoil pad for A-Bolt Stainless Stalker?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Which Limbsaver Recoil pad for A-Bolt Stainless Stalker?

ORIGINAL: hinkleid

ORIGINAL: npaden

Well, I've shot a 7mm Rem Mag a while back but only a couple times and can't really remember what the recoil was like. I've had some people tell me that it will knock my arm off and some tell me that it isn't bad at all so I'm not sure who to believe. I am a little long armed so adding the limbsaver will also help the gun fit me a little better so I figured I couldn't go wrong for $29. I want to go ahead and set this gun up the way I think it should be now instead of trying to make due with it for a while. I've got a set of trigger springs sitting on my desk ready to swap out the factory springs with before it even gets fired one time. Hopefully I got the right one.

Thanks, Nathan
You know even the trigger on the Browning is decent. It is adjustable with a screwdriver so it is easy to lighten up. I think I have mine around 3-3.5. Now that Remington I have is hardto fire off!
I have never seen an out of the box browning that could be reduced to 3- 3.5lbs, everyone required minimally a new spring. On the other hand I have never seen a remington 700 that couldn't be reduced to 3lbs without any additional parts just some know how or a compenent gunsmith.

npaden, the Sims you bought may work just fine and I hope it does.If it doesn't by chance you can always exchange it for a grind to fit and either install yourself or have someone else do it for a nominal charge. All my rifles wear aftermarket pads, I have become accustom to less felt recoil they offer. The 7mm rem mag isn't light but certainly isn't terrible either, the stalker isn't the lightest rig and if the design fits you it will make a world of difference interms of felt recopil as well. I know you did your homework prior to buying so assume the last portion is well taken care of! The sims and pachmyers work, hope you can rest easy and not be fixed on recoil!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

ORIGINAL: hinkleid

ORIGINAL: npaden

Well, I've shot a 7mm Rem Mag a while back but only a couple times and can't really remember what the recoil was like. I've had some people tell me that it will knock my arm off and some tell me that it isn't bad at all so I'm not sure who to believe. I am a little long armed so adding the limbsaver will also help the gun fit me a little better so I figured I couldn't go wrong for $29. I want to go ahead and set this gun up the way I think it should be now instead of trying to make due with it for a while. I've got a set of trigger springs sitting on my desk ready to swap out the factory springs with before it even gets fired one time. Hopefully I got the right one.

Thanks, Nathan
You know even the trigger on the Browning is decent. It is adjustable with a screwdriver so it is easy to lighten up. I think I have mine around 3-3.5. Now that Remington I have is hardto fire off!
I have never seen an out of the box browning that could be reduced to 3- 3.5lbs, everyone required minimally a new spring. On the other hand I have never seen a remington 700 that couldn't be reduced to 3lbs without any additional parts just some know how or a compenent gunsmith.

npaden, the Sims you bought may work just fine and I hope it does.If it doesn't by chance you can always exchange it for a grind to fit and either install yourself or have someone else do it for a nominal charge. All my rifles wear aftermarket pads, I have become accustom to less felt recoil they offer. The 7mm rem mag isn't light but certainly isn't terrible either, the stalker isn't the lightest rig and if the design fits you it will make a world of difference interms of felt recopil as well. I know you did your homework prior to buying so assume the last portion is well taken care of! The sims and pachmyers work, hope you can rest easy and not be fixed on recoil!!!
Accoring to my owner's manual "The A-Bolt II's trigger is preset at the factory. The trigger pull can be adjusted within a range of approximately 3 to 6 pounds"
Old 03-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Accoring to my owner's manual "The A-Bolt II's trigger is preset at the factory. The trigger pull can be adjusted within a range of approximately 3 to 6 pounds"
I know what the manuals states but from my personal experience and using a trigger pull gauge I have never seen an abolt get to 3-3.5#'s out of the box without some mods to the spring. FWIWmy findings donot appear uncommon, otherabolts users report the same thing.

I suspect by your responses you have never tested your trigger with a trigger pull gauge?? I may be wrong but "3 - 3.5 #break" and "my manual states" make it an educated guess (never mind the fact you are 1 in many who have actually found the opposite of what I said above!).

IfI am wrong then congrats to you and I'll change my response in the future to you may require spring mods on your abolt.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't mean to start an arguement but from the 2 1/2 months of research that I did before buying this rifle, I got the impression that $25 on a new trigger spring would be money well spent.

I now have the rifle in hand and got the scope mounted temporarily (I didn't have any loctite but I did a dry run and made sure everything fit correctly).

One last question (well, maybe not the last one). I assumed that the recoil pad currently on the rifle would be a screw on type pad like most I've seen. I can't see where I can unscrew it though. Do I have to cut it open to get to the screws?

Thanks, Nathan
Old 03-11-2007, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I know what the manuals states but from my personal experience and using a trigger pull gauge I have never seen an abolt get to 3-3.5#'s out of the box without some mods to the spring. FWIWmy findings donot appear uncommon, otherabolts users report the same thing.

I suspect by your responses you have never tested your trigger with a trigger pull gauge?? I may be wrong but "3 - 3.5 #break" and "my manual states" make it an educated guess (never mind the fact you are 1 in many who have actually found the opposite of what I said above!).

IfI am wrong then congrats to you and I'll change my response in the future to you may require spring mods on your abolt.
You may be right skeeter, I was just going by the manual. You are probably more experienced in this. All I know is I loosened the screw, and when shooting... I think about pulling the trigger, squeeze a little and it goes off. Actually, might be a little light for me.

Not going to go buy a gauge thought to tell for sure.

Now the Remington I need worked on... pull and pull to go off... Think someone mentioned before it is set at 10 lbs. !!!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just to finalize this thread. I did get the 10002 limbsaver pad and it fit like a glove. Perfect!

To remove the browning pad I felt where the screws were and took a sharp knife and made a small cut in the end of the pad and slipped the end of my screwdriver in and unscrewed it. It is hard to tell that it was cut and I guess if I needed to for some reason I could reuse it down the road.

I think I'm going to start running a few rounds through it this weekend!!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats good news,I am glad it worked out for you!!!

Enjoy popping the " you know " on your new rifle.