HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   .300 ultra mag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/183110-300-ultra-mag.html)

kilotanker19 03-03-2007 11:13 PM

.300 ultra mag

anyone have experience with a .300 ultra mag? i am buying one in remington m700 sps and would appreciate some reviews. any knowlege would be great.

Maine Shooter 03-04-2007 06:43 AM

RE: .300 ultra mag

Better start reloading as I don't see that chambering as a readily widely available at most shops I venture to.

summit daWg 03-04-2007 07:37 AM

Just got one in CDL and haven't even fired it yet. And yes.....Ammo is about $40 a box.

Retaks 03-04-2007 08:12 AM

I have one. Ammo is on the expensive side. I think i got mine for $52 a box last time. Im in a local gunshop alot so he orders them for me. He always has atleast 2 boxes in stock for me. Other then there ive never seen them in a store except when we go to Cabelas. Its a good shooting gun.

kilotanker19 03-04-2007 01:54 PM

they order it for me at my local sporting goods store. for 39.99 a box. i never reloaded before so i don't know anything about it.

bigcountry 03-04-2007 04:24 PM

I have had 3 of them. Got one when it firstcame out. I thought ammo was 30/box. But I reloaded for it. Great gun for those who will take the time to practice alot with it, at long range. Here's the bad part. By the time you master that badboy, you have came close to wearin it out. I had one built for me, and it shot sub0.5 MOA. I mean I was shooting some 5" groups at 500 yards. After about 500-600 rounds, I started getting heat cracks in the neck of the chamber.

My first one, I burnt out the barrel in 900 rounds. I now shoot a 300Win mag. I just needed more barrel life. Its not the gun for a beginner. One really has to know the basics of shooting to handle one. I think someone really needs to shoot alot to handle one. Recoil is right below brutal.

bigiron 03-04-2007 04:59 PM

My 300rum's are my favorite. But I did have to start reloading to take advantage of what they really can do. The few factory loads avaliablewere not the greatest for accuracy or bullet construction. I do beleive its federal who now loads the 180 barnes TSX which would be my pick over the rem stuff. Like big country said the recoil is ratherstiff I was very suprised how much over the 300 winny even. I have a friend who put a brake on his and has very little recoil but the blast is terrible I think it makes your cheeks jiggle. Also make sure you use good rings and bases we had one break a screw on the leupold bases.

Colorado Luckydog 03-05-2007 12:37 AM

Kicks like a mule! I put a brake and a limb saver on mine, now it is very comfortable to shot. Every animal its been pointed at is dead. I've heard they wear out fast but I don't shoot as much as a lot of these guys do. Great gun for the money.

HEAD0001 03-05-2007 02:01 AM

I just saw some Federal ammo-with 165 grain bullets on sale at Midway. The price was $22. Tom.

summit daWg 03-07-2007 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have had 3 of them. Got one when it firstcame out. I thought ammo was 30/box. But I reloaded for it. Great gun for those who will take the time to practice alot with it, at long range. Here's the bad part. By the time you master that badboy, you have came close to wearin it out. I had one built for me, and it shot sub0.5 MOA. I mean I was shooting some 5" groups at 500 yards. After about 500-600 rounds, I started getting heat cracks in the neck of the chamber.

My first one, I burnt out the barrel in 900 rounds. I now shoot a 300Win mag. I just needed more barrel life. Its not the gun for a beginner. One really has to know the basics of shooting to handle one. I think someone really needs to shoot alot to handle one. Recoil is right below brutal.

I should be okay with the barrel burnout since I don't think I've fired of that many rounds in my life.