Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is there a 22 mag pistol? >

Is there a 22 mag pistol?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is there a 22 mag pistol?

Old 03-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Is there a 22 mag pistol?

I have owned both a ruger single six and the AMT automag. Both great guns. As far as I know they don't make the AMT anymore in .22mag, but they may have started again. I had the six in barrel model and it was pretty accurate and fun to shoot. The noise and muzzle flash was VERY impressive.

My single six was pretty nice as well, but I will admit I shot it mostly with the .22 long rifle shells.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on a .22 mag pistol. Just get a .22 long rifle pistol and shoot stingers or velocitors out of it.

Paul
Old 03-03-2007, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Briman

I don't know about semiatos, but the Ruger single-six revolvers come with a .22 mag cylinder.
My father has one of these and he swears by it. Anytime somebody we know gets a new handgun he challenges them to a little competition.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:57 AM

My friend actually needs it for farm buisness. he said he needs a good gun to finish of his hogs and cows with a single shothe has used a 22 before ,but just wanted something a little stronger that was not to much.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHdeerguts

My friend actually needs it for farm buisness. he said he needs a good gun to finish of his hogs and cows with a single shothe has used a 22 before ,but just wanted something a little stronger that was not to much.
With the additional information, I would step up to a 38/357 pistol and would still look into a S&W or Ruger. I have a Ruger Blackhawk 357/38 stainless with a 4 5/8" barrel, (2) S&W snubbies in 38, and an older S&W 67 in 38 with a 4" barrel. My daily carry weapon is a S&W M38 "bodyguard" in 38 spl. For dispatching downed cows, I have used my Ruger 357 and my Glock 23 in 40 cal., and both did the trick with no second shot required.

I am just afraid that a 22 magnum might cause a little more suffering for the animal if the shot wasn't absolutely perfect.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:52 AM

Thats what I thought, but he is an old farmer that is set in his ways.. He has an arsenol ( spelling ) of high powered rifles but he says a pistol is better. I thought a 357 would be better Thank yenz for every thing.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the Heritage in the combo ... the 22 mag cylinder never operated correctly, by the time I packed it up and sent it back it was well past the warranty (shame on me) and they said it could be fixed (also had a loose barrel) for about $20 more than i spent on it originally. I told them to forget it and send it back the way it was. I have since cranked the barrel in as tight as I could with a bit of loc-tite on it, and have relegated it to regular 22 lr only now.

I then purchased the Ruger Super Single-Six in 2003, when I turned 50 yrs old (my birthday present to ME!) and Ruger was celebrating it's 50th year of production for the Super Single-Six. I did not buy the anniversary model, but instead opted for the stainless model with the 6" barrel and the adjustable sights. The anniversary model came only with a barrel that was 4+" and blue only with no adjustments on the sights.
I couldn't be happier with this gun....and it tends to shoot the 22 Mag's better than the reg 22 lr's. Probably the ammo, but both rounds do just fine for my purposes.

The Ruger Super Single-Six is an extremely well made handgun.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

RUGER SINGLE SIX .......................................

Have had mine for Yearrrrrrrrs cant beat it.......................................
Old 03-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brother had the single six Ruger .22with the extra cylinder you could easily swap out for the .22 mag. It was a sweet revolver to shoot.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

If he's just needing to "finish off hogs and cows" and really wants to use a .22 magnum round, there is always the derringers made by American Arms I think.

IMO, especially considering the job, I would move up a bit say to maybe .32 magnum. For .32 mag, H&R revolvers come to mind.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

we always used 22lr(marlin 60)to take out hogs and cows durring butchering work great,one shot between the eyes and they are down....

Quick Reply: Is there a 22 mag pistol?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.