HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   No more Guns at Walmart (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/182866-no-more-guns-walmart.html)

MinnFinn 03-02-2007 07:52 PM

RE: No more Guns at Walmart

Something really changed with that company after old Sam Walton died. I think he was as down to Earth sort of fellow as they come, no matter how big his bank account/stock holdings grew to. I heard that when someone met him at the landing stripe of the plane he flew in there'd just as likely to be a bunch of his hunting dogs jump out of the plane and into the limo, as anyone else.
Bean counters and lawyers have no doubt brought about these changes, as with any other company.

metaldonnieg 03-02-2007 10:34 PM

according to a manager at my preferred area walmart, only the top grossing stores in each area are going to keep firearms.

standsleeper 03-03-2007 12:09 AM

[/align]Go to my local Walmart and the tatoo to tooth ratio gets a little to close to even. I have never and would never buy a gun at Walmart. Alot of manufacturers cheapen up their guns to sell them at Walmart's price.

stretch56 03-03-2007 03:16 AM

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

[/align]Go to my local Walmart and the tatoo to tooth ratio gets a little to close to even. I have never and would never buy a gun at Walmart. Alot of manufacturers cheapen up their guns to sell them at Walmart's price.
My brother and his duck hunting partner both bought aRemington Express from there and had nothing but trouble with them. They both traded them in at local gun shop bought new guns and never had any trouble.
Could be just a fluke.

CamoCop 03-03-2007 03:42 AM

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

this is a rediculous statement. gun manufacturers would not tarnish their name by doing so andthis would also open them up to even more liability in this already sue happy country. Wal-Mart may sell a gun manufacturers low end gun but they are definately not going to change the gun by "cheaping" them up for lower prices. Wal-Mart bought in bulk at lower cost so they could sell at lower prices and still make a profit.

back on topic, i quit shopping at Wal-Mart because they are getting away from that "redneck" image. nothing wrong with a redneck and matter of fact, this country would be better off with a few more rednecks.

MinnFinn 03-03-2007 11:08 PM

CC - I agree. I don't think manufacturers changed them just to sell at Walmart. They may have generally carried the less expensive firearms. But yeah, if a fellow or gal is X number of $ and it's either buy a less expense shotgun or rifle at Walmart or other place or no not be able to hunt at all, I'd take the later. Or I'd buy used as good a quality firearm as I could afford, save and buy up at some later date. Putting $15-20 / paycheck in a drawer or someplace it won't get spent over a year or so, can buy you a decent firearm.

Maine Shooter 03-04-2007 08:11 AM

The guns at Walmart are no differnt than the ones at dealers with the exception of the speacil variants made just for walmart. even then, they're the same quality as regualr run guns. The gun companies aren't going to risk the liability of a lesser quality product just to satify a single retailer. Too much at stake for them. regardless of what the LGS guys will spout off the Walmart stuff is ordered through distributors just like everyone else. they simply buy in such large quantiies that they are given a lesser cost which they in turn can pass along to the consumer. It's how large business works.
I'm still in the frame of mind that one should forget the extra few dollarsthey save at WM and be a loyal customer to thier local gun shop(s). After all, at these shops, they're a person not just a faceless number like at WM. It's these shops that'll be wiling to talk with you, help with problems and hopefully be there after Wm drops thier firearms.

standsleeper 03-04-2007 08:27 AM

While I'm not sure this isn't the case, I wasn't implying the guns are made differently. I was saying they take some of the extras away. Exp. : a gun that would come with three choke tubes would only have one at Walmart. A cheaper price but less gun. I have heard something about a gun maker using different materials on a gun to meet Walmarts required price. I think it was a Savage. But, it was just a rumor. I have no proof,and wasn't talking about that to begin with.

[/align]

Triple Se7en 03-04-2007 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: rookiebowhuntr_PA

I was at my local walmart last night and all the guns are gone. I heard the tall end of the conversation that the clerk was having with another customer. Sounds like they are just doing it to be more politically correct. Does anyone out there have anymore information about them getting rid of the guns? Are they also getting rid of the outdoor section?

They've been slowly eliminating their guns section in the more populated cities where Walmart is present. Been going on for the past three years. In a few more years, all gun cabinets will be gone from what I term as ChinaMart.

270sniper 03-04-2007 09:47 AM

Last year they had some great deals on the the T/C Omega Z-5. My buddy bougth two of them for $169. each. One for him & one for his son.

I know they were seeling them off below their cost because I got in an argument with a gun dealer over the cost. He bascially called me a liar that they were selling them for $169.00