HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Got a new gun!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/18245-got-new-gun.html)

adams603 12-09-2002 08:35 AM

Got a new gun!!!

I bought a browning A-Bolt II with a 22" heavy barrel and boss in .308. It has the wood grey laminat stock, what a gorgous gun.
Anyone have this gun or a Browning rifle. How do they shoot. Any problems with them. How do you like the Boss.
Thanks for any info.

diyj98 12-09-2002 08:59 AM

RE: Got a new gun!!!

Sounds like a very nice rifle. Browning makes a very nice rifle. The only negative I've heard from Boss owners it a louder muzzle blast.

Deleted User 12-09-2002 09:54 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

litework 12-09-2002 10:37 AM

Congrats on the purchase. I own a Browing Abolt Medallion (w/Boss) chambered in 300 Win Mag. Browning rifles are extremely accurate rifles even w/out the BOSS system. Unlike some of my other recent rifle purchases, Browning's quality remains high. Your rifle has an attachment that eliminates the muzzle brake and the noise associated with the muzzle brake. The trigger is easily adjusted as well.

Nomercy 12-09-2002 12:01 PM

Congrats on the rifle, and good luck with it.

I'm not a big fan of the boss system. It's sound in theory, however,I feel that it's not really that effective, and also it either needs to only be open or closed, not possibly in between. If you're hunting, and you want it open, your ammo is sighted in with it open, and a deer walks out at a range that will test your accuracy, but it's partially closed, your POI will be different. Additionally, I feel that the increased muzzle blast, sight and sound, makes the rifles feel like they kick much harder, and the little it actually reduces the kick is no comparison with the perceived recoil due to the increase in sound and sight. Sure, it won't bruise you as much, but it will scare you more, which will lead to flinching sooner than bruising would.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!

Josh Sorensen 12-09-2002 12:46 PM

I have a browning Eurobolt in .243 w/boss and I really like it. It is just an abolt with a satin finished european style stock and shorter barrel. it has a 22" barrel and I have a 4-14x scope on it. I tuned the boss in for 100gr SBT Sierra gamekings and then worked up a load to duplicate the federal premium loading with the same bullet. I know have a gun that will shoot federal premium ammo under .75 MOA for 5 shot groups. I chose to duplicate the fed premium load because that way I can always buy ammo thats sighted in for it if I happen to run out or need any quick. I also got the BossCR for it. The bossCR is the fluted, unported boss. IT was only 15 dollars for the unported piece and since its a .243 recoil wasn't an issue anyway. THe biggest thing that I didn't like about the ported boss was that when I would shoot it prone or from a sitting position it would blow leaves and grass all over the place and from prone would catch dead grass on fire. I use mine on deer and predators. The boss really does work when you start to dial it in for different bullets, good luck.

litework 12-09-2002 06:20 PM

No Mercy, I was reading your reply and have a question for you. I don't understand what you mean about having the BOSS partially open or closed. I sight the rifle in turning the BOSS until my groups are acceptable. The setting doesn't change from target to hunting mode. Once I establish a good setting for 165 grains (in my case), I write the number down off the BOSS setting. I repeat the same routine with 180 grain loads, again writing it down. That way by simply turning a knob on the gun, I get peak performance from two totally seperate loads. When hunting, the setting is the exact same as when I am sighting in the rifle. I think I might be misinterpreting something you are saying. Can you set me straight?

CalNewbie 12-09-2002 06:30 PM

You get two Boss attachments with the rifle. One is the recoil supressor that you tune for your ammo, the other is the Boss-CR (Conventional Recoil) for use in the field. You have the standard noice and recoil, but still tuned for your ammo.

My understanding is that if you hand load, the Boss system won't be as much use. You're more likely to work with your loads to get a good group than work with the Boss system.

litework 12-09-2002 06:45 PM

CalNewbie, Ahhh, I see. I think that's what NoMercy was getting at...CR (closed) vs. muzzlebrake (open). I actually don't use the CR attachment. I still think the BOSS benefits even those who handload (I handload a little). The BOSS system gives you the versatility to shoot more than one handload (165gr vs. 180gr.) You can have more than one "sweet load."

CalNewbie 12-09-2002 11:09 PM

You've raised a good point about hand loading. I can see the value of the BOSS system to dial in on your custom load rather than a lot of trial and error. My interest was piqued by the setup, but Browning didn't offer the BOSS in my caliber (270WSM). Maybe that'll be one of the excuses for getting another rifle. Then again, I haven't even put the scope on the 270 yet!