Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Perfect Deer Rifle >

Perfect Deer Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Perfect Deer Rifle

Old 01-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Perfect Deer Rifle

I have two "perfect" deer rifles I'd like to see built.

One would be a Ruger "Mini" autoloader in .250 Savage, and the other would be a Remington 7400 in .358 Winchester. Both of these rifles would be topped with a Bushnell Holosight, and equipped with a detachable synthetic sling.

Can't help with the Sako and Tikka info - I don't think of bolts as acceptable deer rifles much less "perfect" ones.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:14 PM

BLR in 308.
Rem 7600 in 308.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

browning blr in a 7mm/O8 topped with a leupold vari x-III 3-9X40

_ _ _ _ _
Remember "The 4 G's"
God
Guns
Guitars
Girls
Old 01-17-2002, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rick...just curious as to why you don't consider a bolt an "acceptable" action.

I don't like a bolt much either...cause I'm a lefty. I just wondered what your reason was.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:00 AM

I'd pick the one that fits me the best. The best advice I ever received was from my father when I was looking for my first deer rifle. He took me to a reputable shop and had me look and feel at all the different makes and models. He then took me to another shop where I looked at different makes and models. Pick the one that you like and fits you well. If it is a Sako, that's the one you should buy, same if it is a Ruger, Tikka, Remington or whatever.

My personal favorite is a Sako Hunter in 308 with a leupold Vari X-II.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect deer rifle. I say this because you basically settle on the best compromise since no rifle is "perfect" for every situation. I like a Savage 116 in 300 Win Mag. It is great for hunting long pipelines and open fields, but not necessarily that good in tight quarters for close-range shots. That is why I also have other guns in various chamberings and action types.
Old 01-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

The "perfect deer rifle", that is a hard one. So many variables to consider. But....

It would have to be a Mauser style action, with a Dakota 3 position Win. M-70 style safety, a Brownell M-70 style custom bolt handle, a Pet Grisel style floorplate/trigger guard, and a full 3 way adjustable trigger, for pull weight, creep and travel, set for 3#, zero creep, minimal overtravel. The barrel would have to be a Hart or Lilja SS match, countered to a #3 contour cut back to 22". It would be chamber in 8mmX.284 Win. The action and barrel would be acid vapor blackened. The scope would be a Swarovski PH 2.5-10x42mm 30mm tube, set in Talley rings and mounts. Sling would be a 1.25" standard military competition style leather sling, since this is what I am used to. The stock would have be a McMillan.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Ridge Runner:

I'm surprised to hear that.

I remember Ruger offering auto's in .243 and .308 for a short while but these were soon pulled off the market. My assumptions were (1) that the rifle/action wasn't able to handle these cartridges due to pressure and (2) that this rifle was the same as the "Mini".

It appears that these autos must have been built on a different action.

However, if my assumptions were correct, the .250 would have been the perfect solution, being shorter than the .243 and operating at a lower pressure level.

Oh well! I guess I'll have to come up with a different dream rifle.

Pro-Line:

My opinion is based on where I hunt and how I hunt.

I hunt in Ontario, where the bush is thick, and few shots are over 30 yds.

I am also a still hunter by choice, however, I will participate in drives, and other methods as long as it's not stand hunting.

Since every place you stop is "new", and when still hunting or tracking, every step you take changes your "shooting lanes", unseen intervening brush is a major factor. I'd estimate that between 30% and 75% of shots can be lost to unseen brush.

This makes a the potential for a quick follow-up shot an necessity. Since a lever, pump or autoloader can get off a second aimed shot in half the time of a bolt, and 3 shots in the time it takes a bolt to shoot 2, there is a clear advantage to the fast action.

If my hunting consisted of sitting in a blind or in a tree overlooking a large open area, action type would be of little consequence.

Rick

Quick Reply: Perfect Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.