HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Got my 1st handgun... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/182097-got-my-1st-handgun.html)

KBacon 03-08-2007 04:41 PM

RE: Got my 1st handgun...

chr103yod... Yeah.. it may have a few issues.. but it shouldn't take much to remedy this issue I hope. Gonna try a couple more boxes of ammo and a few different mags and see if it continues.I've also been told that the Kimbers need a "break in" period? This gun is in such good condition.. that it may not have had the "break in" completed yet?

KBacon 03-10-2007 04:34 PM

Just talked w/ the guy that originally owned the gun today... he said that he only put 200 rds through it.. and he bought it new. So the gun only has 300 rounds through it total. He stated that he never had a single issue with the gun.. So I believe that it's very probable that I may have been hitting the slide release w/ my thumb during the shot or something like that. I totally disassembled the gun today, cleaned and lubed it a bit more.
How far do you guys normally take down your guns when cleaning them?

Bulzeye 03-11-2007 09:32 AM

For a semiauto handgun... magazine,frame, slide, recoil spring, spring guide, slide stop, and barrel bushing if there is one.

The most critical areas to clean for reliability are the bore, breach face, and under the extractor's hook. Lube no more than the manufacturer recommends. Too much will attract gunk.

it's very probable that I may have been hitting the slide release w/ my thumb
That's my guess too. Curl your thumbs downward so they can't contact the slide stop and seeif that helps. Once you've diagosed the cause, you can experiment with fine tuning your grip, but start with one that helps you find the problem.

Good luck.
-Bulz

nksmfamjp 03-11-2007 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: KBacon

Just talked w/ the guy that originally owned the gun today... he said that he only put 200 rds through it.. and he bought it new. So the gun only has 300 rounds through it total. He stated that he never had a single issue with the gun.. So I believe that it's very probable that I may have been hitting the slide release w/ my thumb during the shot or something like that. I totally disassembled the gun today, cleaned and lubed it a bit more.
I field strip. . .barrel, slide, bushing and frame seperated every or every other time I shoot mine.

I detail strip every piece except the grip screw bushing andd plunger tube about oncee a year.

Keep it lubed with a good oil. I use some grease internally and on the rails in the summer. In the winter, I'm afraid it might slow things down though.