HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   "assault" weapons ban--definite?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/181923-assault-weapons-ban-definite.html)

sellme69 02-23-2007 06:13 PM

"assault" weapons ban--definite??

Is the so called assault weapons ban a definite, or merely a proposal??

If it is definite, when will it begin??

ipscshooter 02-23-2007 07:45 PM

RE: "assault" weapons ban--definite??

Right now, it's just a proposal. Still has to pass the House. The Senate will have to pass one as well. Then it goes to a joint committee to work out differences in the two bills. Then it gets presented to the President for signature. Hopefully there are enough sane people in the Senate that the bill will never reach the floor for a vote. I believe in the Senate, you need 60 votes to get it to the floor, and then only 51 for passage.

James B 02-23-2007 07:49 PM

It will pass the house but I don't think that right now it can pass the senate. I don't believe that Bush would sign the bill. However if they wait until Hillary is in, its a done deal.[:@]

ipscshooter 02-23-2007 07:51 PM

Bush has previously (in 2000 and 2004) said that he supports an AWB. I don't think it would be a good bet that he won't sign it if it crossed his desk.

James B 02-23-2007 07:56 PM

I doubt that it will pass in time for us to find out.

Briman 02-23-2007 09:50 PM

Its not likely to even get out of committee. If The Dems pick up bigger margins and the White House in '08, all bets are off.

crimedog 02-24-2007 06:08 AM

That is why I'm looking for the email list for Congress, to let them know in mass it's a bad idea for Rep and Dem to pass the AWB. Additionally I will let the President know that a quick way to loose the 36%that do approve of his job performance is to sign the AWB. It's tight but I don't think the Dems and Repcan afford passage of the AWB, I think the Dems worst move was to push the AWB, want to polarize the Republican base try and put a Clinton back in office and propose an AWB, sound like harrycarrie.

alsaqr 02-24-2007 07:15 AM

"It will pass the house but I don't think that right now it can pass the senate."

i do not think that it will pass the House. The first AWB passed the House by one vote. 38 Republicans voted in favor of the first AWB and 70 some Democrats voted against it.

eldeguello 02-24-2007 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: sellme69

Is the so called assault weapons ban a definite, or merely a proposal??

If it is definite, when will it begin??
Well, a new law has not yet been passed by Congress, but with the Dummycraps running everything, it probably will.

And, Bush has said several times that he'd sign it if it was passed.....

So if you want to "grandfather" anything that'll probably be banned, buy it now!

alsaqr 02-24-2007 05:55 PM

The AWB passed the House by one vote: 216 to 214. Here is the math on the AWB vote in the US House:

Democrats

For: 177
Against: 77
Not Voting: 2
Total 256

Independent

For: 1

Republicans

Against: 137
For: 38
Not voting:1
Total: 176

Barring a call for a new AWB by President Bush, itcannot pass the House.Thereabout 22 fewer Democrats in the House than when the firstAWB was passed.Contrary to popular belief, there are quite a few pro-gun Democrats inthe US House.