HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   backed up to cycle properly? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/181618-backed-up-cycle-properly.html)

3xcoverchange 02-21-2007 06:09 PM

backed up to cycle properly?

I was having feeding problems withmyRemington 750and sent it back to the factory for repair.

When it was returned the technical notes said that they resized the orifice hole and reamed nozzle...gun must be backed up to cycle properly.

Can anyone tell a laymen waht "backed up to cycle properly" means?

eldeguello 02-22-2007 02:25 PM

RE: backed up to cycle properly?

ORIGINAL: 3xcoverchange

I was having feeding problems withmyRemington 750and sent it back to the factory for repair.

When it was returned the technical notes said that they resized the orifice hole and reamed nozzle...gun must be backed up to cycle properly.

Can anyone tell a laymen waht "backed up to cycle properly" means?

NOPE! I was going to ask YOU that!

bigbulls 02-22-2007 03:45 PM

You gotta hold on to it so that the gun has something to recoil against. If you're not holding the gun tight into your shoulder it allows the entire fgun to move rearward at the shot. Ifthe entire gun is moving rearward while the bolt is trying to cycle rearwardthe boltwon't make it all the way back and will "short stroke" itself, not eject, and not pick up the next round.

3xcoverchange 02-22-2007 04:15 PM

That makes sense. Thanks

wis_bow_huntr 02-23-2007 06:20 AM

darn automatics anywhay, go with a bolt you wont have that problem.

eldeguello 02-23-2007 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

You gotta hold on to it so that the gun has something to recoil against. If you're not holding the gun tight into your shoulder it allows the entire fgun to move rearward at the shot. Ifthe entire gun is moving rearward while the bolt is trying to cycle rearwardthe boltwon't make it all the way back and will "short stroke" itself, not eject, and not pick up the next round.
That makes sense, alright! But while I can see how this would be the case with a recoil-operated weapon like the Browning Auto Five, it should not be necessary in a GAS-OPERATED rifle like the M1, M14, or Remington semi's!

bigbulls 02-23-2007 10:02 AM

it should not be necessary in a GAS-OPERATED rifle like the M1, M14, or Remington semi's!
Sure it does. The sameprincipal applys.

The gas only creates a quick pulse that is quickly displaced before the bolt hardly begins to move.

There is still a spring applying pressure against the bolt pushing it foward. If the gunis moving to the rear at the same time the bolt is moving to the rearthen the bolt must move even farther and fartherto the rear in order to fully cycle.

ipscshooter 02-23-2007 10:37 AM

Kind of like "limp-wristing" a semi-auto pistol... Not that there's anything wrong with that... [/pc]:)