Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What shotgun should I get? >

What shotgun should I get?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What shotgun should I get?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What shotgun should I get?

Browning BPS would be an excellent choice... much higher quality than a Mossberg or Remington. The BPS is what the Remington Wingmaster used to be quality wise. BPS is one of the best built pump guns on the market.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 PM

dude i have abused my mossberg 500 in plenty of ways, i hit it, dropped it, scratched it and about everything else. this is one of the most reliable guns and never has a problem feeding, is always dependable and is very versatile for about $250 at a walmart or otherwise $450 max. any more than that and u r getting ripped off because of the low price and not because of low quality.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM

Remington 870
Old 02-20-2007, 05:29 PM

My $.02 is go for a Remington. The cost is right and it is a good solid gun. I think the best advice is go to a gun show and shoulder a bunch of shotguns and get the one that feels best and comes up naturally when you point it. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to a gun show, and there were no BPS's, and I've already fired a Mossberg 500 (my uncle's) and I thought it was okay, and it fired fine, but I am almost positive that there's something better out there on the market. I just didn't feel natural with it, just not the gun I can picture myself pointing in the air.

I guess I'll just need to go to my gun dealer and feel some shotgunsthere.

I would like to hear more about that Ithaca-12, that looks cool.

I would like to get an auto-loader, since price won't be such a big deal since the main reason I'm planning on getting a shotgun is that my uncle is going to re-introduce Tennessee Red Quail on the lease, and he'll first have to pen-raise the chicks, and then release them when they're 10 weeks old or whatever, and wait for the population to take off, and that takes several years, so I'll be able to get my shotgun in that period of time, and then some. I may just end up getting a Bennelli, though I severely doubt it.

I do wonder about that Ithica-12, and I am open to other suggestions, since I don't know much about auto-loaders anyway.

My uncle has a compositeCharles Daly auto-loader, but it has problems firing primers, and it jammed all the time.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: younggun243

I went to a gun show, and there were no BPS's, and I've already fired a Mossberg 500 (my uncle's) and I thought it was okay, and it fired fine, but I am almost positive that there's something better out there on the market. I just didn't feel natural with it, just not the gun I can picture myself pointing in the air.

I guess I'll just need to go to my gun dealer and feel some shotgunsthere.

I would like to hear more about that Ithaca-12, that looks cool.

I would like to get an auto-loader, since price won't be such a big deal since the main reason I'm planning on getting a shotgun is that my uncle is going to re-introduce Tennessee Red Quail on the lease, and he'll first have to pen-raise the chicks, and then release them when they're 10 weeks old or whatever, and wait for the population to take off, and that takes several years, so I'll be able to get my shotgun in that period of time, and then some. I may just end up getting a Bennelli, though I severely doubt it.

I do wonder about that Ithica-12, and I am open to other suggestions, since I don't know much about auto-loaders anyway.

My uncle has a compositeCharles Daly auto-loader, but it has problems firing primers, and it jammed all the time.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!! You need to get a gun now, so you can be extremely proficient with it when the quail have propagated! Go shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays & 5 stand. Find a place & take preserve. Don't put yourself through the torment of waiting to purchase & enjoy. Hell, by the time you are hunting native quail, you could be purchasing your 3rd or 4th shotgun. Whew, that was close. Glad I could help.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 AM

I recommend it to everybody, but a remington 870.

I LOVE mine.

Relatively cheap (around 240 bucks at walmart), readily available, and there's tons of add ons and tactical gadgets easily had if you're into that kinda stuff.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 AM

Since money isn't a problem like it was for me, i'd say an 870. When i was looking for a gun i looked at the 870 but couldn't afford it due to upcoming medical bills. My dad has an 870 and he let me fire it and i loved it. Hopefully i can buy one next year with my income tax check, but for now i have my NEF Single Shot 12 gauge and i absolutely love it. So i can't fire 4 shots into a deer, i have 1, but it has already made me a better shooter. I love my gun so much i sleep next to it lol The NEF Pardner 12 gauge is a wonderful gun for beginners or for parents buying their kid a gun to start off with. Only problem is it kicks a little more because its lighter but i'm a big boy i can take it.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine hasn't jammed yet. As far as how it operates when wet, it doesn't rain here much, especially in the winter,so I haven't gotten it wet very many times. I have had it out at night once when there was some freezing rain falling. I did have to chip a little ice away from it, but I had to do the same thing to operate my bolt guns, too. A lot of my equipment that night wound up with over 1/2" of ice covering it.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rugerno1

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!! You need to get a gun now, so you can be extremely proficient with it when the quail have propagated! Go shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays & 5 stand. Find a place & take preserve. Don't put yourself through the torment of waiting to purchase & enjoy. Hell, by the time you are hunting native quail, you could be purchasing your 3rd or 4th shotgun. Whew, that was close. Glad I could help.
Thanks, I see the point of getting a shotgun earlier, but I've seen decided that I don't need a really expensive shotgun, 'cause a shotgun is just a shotgun. Now, rifles, are another story, there's alot more involved, like the action, rifleing, etc....

I think a 870 or BPS would be my top choices. I'd have to be blackcomposite, IMO, since I'll also want to hun turkey with it.

I would still not mind getting an auto-loader, and if that Franchi I-12 works, that would be something to look at.

It might just be a better idea just to get a pump for now, soIdon't just open up on the birds. It still would work okay, I would think, especially if I were to hunt doves, but to hunt small birds, a guy needs accuracy, not rapid fire.