HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Wal-Mart Weatherby Takes 1st Buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/18037-wal-mart-weatherby-takes-1st-buck.html)

BarnesX.308 12-06-2002 10:58 AM

Wal-Mart Weatherby Takes 1st Buck

On Monday I got my first deer with my Weatherby Vanguard from Wal-Mart. It's a .300 Weatherby. I shoot 150gr Barnes XLC bullets with a full charge of RL22. The manual claims somewhere above 3400 fps. The big bodied 8-point dropped in its tracks from a heart shot that entered from slightly above. A little in front and in between the shoulders and out the bottom of the ribs on the opposite side. This rifle is great in my book and now I have the game as well as the bench-rest to back it up. For only $388 too!

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge

stubblejumper 12-06-2002 11:23 AM

RE: Wal-Mart Weatherby Takes 1st Buck

The japanese made howa rifle with the weatherby name on it(vanguard) is one of the best buys in rifles.It provides far more value for your dollar than any other rifle sold under the weatherby name.I had one with the smith and wesson name on it and it was very accurate and well made.

PaJack 12-07-2002 07:11 PM

Scott...How is the trigger on your .300? Im looking into getting a Timney for my Weatherby!

Hunt Safe!

Jack

lance0623 12-08-2002 10:39 AM

The trigger on the Vanguards isn't bad for an inexpensive rifle. Adjustable pull and creep. I'm very happy with mine after I put a decelerator recoil pad on it. Groups are right around 1.5" with 180 gr. Cor-Lokts (haven't tried or felt the need to try others, although I'm sure I can get smaller groups if I try out different brands and weights). Only complaint I have is the blueing isn't the best.

Lance

rembo 12-08-2002 03:46 PM

I agree with "stubblejumper", the Weatherby Vanguard, or any other Howa,has got to be the best deal out there on a new rifle.Even better than the Rem 700 ADL..?I've owned three of them now,still have one,a short action that's been rebarreled to 284 Win.First one I owned was a Vanguard in 270 Winchester.Great rifle,but someone wanted it more than I did and gave me more than I paid for it 6 years later.Other one was a heavy barrel S&W 1500 in 223.I shot my first formal varmint match with that rifle,beat out more than one Rem 700 and placed third.You guys in the states are lucky that you can buy them at WalMart. You won't find any guns at a WalMart in Canada.

Edited by - rembo on 12/08/2002 16:47:22

stubblejumper 12-08-2002 04:24 PM

Rembo-The one I owned was also a heavy barreled smith&wesson .223 and it was as accurate as any factory rifle I have owned.I sold it to a fellow collecting smith&wessons because I had too many guns and had to get rid of a few.

mike dyer 12-08-2002 06:12 PM

Is the trigger adjustable for weight and if so how and does the vanguard come with a test target that guarantees accuracy?

handloader1 12-08-2002 10:06 PM

Congratulations on your kill!!

lance0623 12-09-2002 09:30 AM

Mike,

Yes on both questions. It's been a few years since I adjusted my trigger, but if I remember correctly it was just a screw that you tightened or loosened. I remember it gave the directions in the owner's manual.

Even though it's built by Howa, it still carries the Weatherby 1.5" group guarantee, and the target is in the box when you buy it.

Deleted User 12-09-2002 09:51 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]