Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 10/22

Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger 10/22

First off, go to www.RimfireCentral.com and do some reading, and more reading and some more reading. If it's 10/22 ANYTHING, it's been discussed there.
Ok that said...

Gotta decide what you want; a tack driver, a baby spray and pray or just a really nice fun range gun. Decide that then move to step two.
BBl: For the money Green Mountain is the best bang for the buck. Very highly regarded. For less weight, Whistle Pig is the way to go for aluminum bbls and either Volquartsen or magnum Research for the carbon fiber ones - AVOID Butler Creek! They're cheap for a reason. Don't worry about the fluting and all, for what little heat is generated, it's niot going to effect the accuracy that much. Rigidity...ever see a non fluted bbl droopy, especially on such a short large diameter bbl? Oh,the .22lr reaches maximum performance (velocity) in the 16-18" bbls after that you're slowing down as the powder is all burnt.
Trigger: There's the DIY kits where you change a hammer or sear and some spreings but after trying most of those, I've found the many members at RFC are right and that the work by TT Shooter is the best bet, second only to the $300 Kidd trigger. For $80 you get a completely reworked trigger with a slightly altered design, greatly improveing the trigger.
Stock: too many to choose from so pick what you want and go with it. Boyd's and Revival have the widest selection of wooden and laminates. Boyd's also has a bbl/stock package that's a really good deal.
A bolt buffer is a very good idea as is a extended mag release (TT offers them with his trigger) Lot of designs to consider with these also.
Magazines: There's cheap ones for little $ or good ones for more $. mMake yor choice. Avoid ANY with the plastic feed lips. There's high-caps from Tactical Innovations that are about the best you can get. All CNCed aluminum with stainless feed lips. They also offer a polymer one for slightly less. Much better than the other inexpensive ones.

Having built 4 and working on 4 more, I can say the 10/22 is addictive. Have fun with it and make it unique to your own tastes. Any Q's fire away!

Here's my favorite thus far:

Old 02-12-2007, 04:05 PM

this kind of reminds me of all the guys i play paintball with who have tippmann 98s and not a one of them looks anything like anybody else's haha.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

my dad put a heat shield, tru -glo sights and a muzzle break. it looks like a mini-14. look in sportsmans guide and cabelas they always have good stuff for the 10/22. cheaperthandirt.comalso has a large selection of ruger parts.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 PM

I bought some eagle 30 round mags and they seem to work as good as the factory 10 rds. My buddy bought some 30 round hot lips ones and they dont work for ****, jamming every couple rounds. I strongly suggest the eagles, i know you can get them cheap from both www.cdnninvestments.com and www.cheaperthandirt.com
Old 02-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot like you guys do, so I haven't done anything other than put a scope on one.

The first one I bought was an older one at an auction with a walnut stock. I didn't even know what a 10/22 was, but soon realized what a great little gun it is. I bought one of those cheap lazer sights and mounted it and it makes an awesome night time varmint gun. Just put the red dot on the possum, skunk, coon, badger, etc and shoot from the hip!