Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 turkey shoot guns >

turkey shoot guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

turkey shoot guns

Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default turkey shoot guns

anyone do the whole turkey shoot thing?? im not talkin live turkeys...im talkin generally shooting at a paper with a dot or crosshair on it...closest BB to the dot or cross hair center wins the prize. generally held at sportsmans clubs and such. the shooting is always about 20yds i believe. the real kicker is you cannot bring your own ammo. if i could bring my own ammo id bring my heavy shot and go home with a ton of ham and turkeys becasue i would rip the targets in half at 20yds with hevi shot.

im convinced they shoot reloads with a REALLY light load. ive tried a couple diffrent guns. can never do very well. its truely ALL luck. this spring i do wanna pattern my turkey gun with light loads and see just how bad they pattern or if the shoots are REALLY set up to be luck. just amazes me that 6 or 7 1/2 shot patterns so badly..hevi shot 6s pattern amazingly and its a fairly light load for a turkey load so though im missing a bunch of shot its not THAT much.

anyone know anything about these kinds of shoots?? anyway to up the odds?? noone does any better then the next guy it seems. just all luck of that one bb that gets the closest...anyone got any ideas or anything? besides sneak in hevi shot loads i dont wanna win a ham or turkey bad enough to cheat...i just think it would be fun to be pretty competative. ive won atleast once every one ive been too..but out of 20 or so rounds your bound to get lucky. pretty bad i pay 20+$ for a afternoon of sittin around a gun club to win one little 8lb "young turkey" lol
Old 02-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: turkey shoot guns

There is some luck involved,mostly a matter of equipment tho. backbore,swage choke or really tight choke tube,and more precise aiming will help.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

i still swear they take out almost all the shot! im going to test some junk loads when i pattern the gun this season.

whats a swage choke? i shoot with my undertaker turkey choke or factory remington turkey choke...both are about the same with their loads....

i think aiming definently would help. i try hard every time but lining up 2 beads is like saying a hope and a prayer when aiming at such a small target. the last one i went to a guy with a scope ran the table..our targets almost always made the final cut..he beat me nearly every time.

it would just gimme somethin to do in the winter months and make it more worth going lol. im not a guy that likes to rely 100% on luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Mauser06 go to www.turkeyshoot.net
Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to go to one every year put on by a FFA group at a local high school. I know they used factory loads because they got a good price from a local guy that could order them. They used Winchester 7 1/2's. I used the Remington X-Full in my 870 and brought home my share of turkeys. Then as the advancementwith chokes started to change I seen guys show up with extended choketube on shotguns with scopes. It got to where guys were taking home 10 or more turkeys so I kinda laid off going, haven't been to one in years.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was in college I worked at a chrome plating and machine shop. We had an old timer there that could sleeve an entire barrel as "slick as a whistle"-his words. He would then polish the inside, and when he was done you could never tell it by looking at it. Turkey shoots are popular here in the hills of WV. And you better be careful. Very few play by the rules. Tom.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx tommy i actually found a few sites a little while ago..

head..what are sleeved barrels?? i read about them a little bit ago but dont know what they are...

i polished the inside of my barrel...should probably do it again soon since i been shootin hevi shot from it..i havent looked at it but i had it like a mirror..

they are popular here..every gun club has them...but ive yet to see anyone have overly amazing patterns..like id have with my hevishot. most have a guy hand you a shell when its your round and watch you pretty closely. they never said anything about rules except use that shell they gave you...i swear they are tampered with! id really like to crack one open and see..next time i go im going to have to see if the shells match the boxes they come out of...but i think they dont even keep them in boxes...maybe i need to find legit turkey shoots lol...

after doing some reading seems there are some guys that are REALLY into it...i havent seen anyone like that around here..
Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Basically it turns the entire barrel into one long tapered choke. constriction is spread out over the length of the barrel so the angle is less acute. less bouncing of shot off of each other, so therefore a denser pattern. Tom.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pure Gold makes the card cutter choke specifically for turkey shoots.

Its not all luck, a lot of it is equipment and knowing exactly where your gun will shoot.

Most of the time our firehouse uses Remington STS #9s.

Hey, if I could roll my own, I'd load up 2 1/4oz of #12 shot and let it eat!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx head..that sounds logical...not that ill be having it done..i dont want turkeys or hams that bad! lol

Swampcollie..ill look into the chokes..i know theres gotta be something that will shoot better then a hope and a prayer. im just surprised my turkey gun doesnt throw better patterns with light loads...i had my targets from the last place i went to but i think i threw them out..but it was basically a hope and a prayer...not too many BBs on the paper(maybe 5x8 with a crosshair in the center) just gettin lucky and gettin one to land realllly close to the crosshair...closer then the other guys atleast..at the short ranges i am REALLY surprised that my turkey choke doesnt do its job when i know my hevi shot loads would rip the paper in half..flight control wads i could shoot the wad through the crosshair.

Quick Reply: turkey shoot guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.