Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is Cabelas slipping? >

Is Cabelas slipping?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is Cabelas slipping?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is Cabelas slipping?

Anything I order from cabelas I usually have it within 4 days of placing my order. They have the best customer service also.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Gundigest

Anything I order from cabelas I usually have it within 4 days of placing my order. They have the best customer service also.
The post isn't about that gun, its about lack of products compared to what they had in recent years.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I was at Cabelas Dundee a couple of weeks back... hadn't been there in a year... it was crowded... merchandise quality has eroded over the past decade and it is all overpriced.... i used to order online and shop them quite a bit now i don't hardly bother unless i have points on my Cabelas Visa to spend.... I generally shop Midway or Brownells, etc because they give me a very good dealer discount with my 003 FFL...so much so that it pays for the 30 bucks / 3 years license many many many times over....

i basically quit "shopping" at Cabelas over the purchase of my S&W 686... they had competative prices with the other dealers in the area but had a few guns in stock... so i picked an early december 2005 day while i was at my parents to go pick it out... but i had to stand in line for an hour and a half just to get to speak to someone at the gun counter and then everythign eroded quickly when i asked them how many they had... to which they replied 5... and i asked them to get all of them out so i could inspect each one before i bought... they did but the attitude was quite lackluster... not to mention it is ridiculous as a customer ready to buy... to have to stand in a line for that long while people kick tires... needless to say it'll be the last firearm i buy from them... even if i have to order it elsewhere...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't order from ANYONE ANYMORE that charges shipping based on the COST of the item you order, instead of what it coststo ship it to you! That's just plain crooked!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

i basically quit "shopping" at Cabelas over the purchase of my S&W 686... they had competative prices with the other dealers in the area but had a few guns in stock... so i picked an early december 2005 day while i was at my parents to go pick it out... but i had to stand in line for an hour and a half just to get to speak to someone at the gun counter and then everythign eroded quickly when i asked them how many they had... to which they replied 5... and i asked them to get all of them out so i could inspect each one before i bought... they did but the attitude was quite lackluster... not to mention it is ridiculous as a customer ready to buy... to have to stand in a line for that long while people kick tires... needless to say it'll be the last firearm i buy from them... even if i have to order it elsewhere...
You wanted to look at all 5 so that you could spend a while looking them all over.. then trying to decide between which one.. While they are obviously extremely busy.. blah blah blah.. and you're complaining about others "kicking tires"?

What about the next guy that decides that he wants one "new in the box".. and it has turn marks and your grubby fingerprints all over it?

If you order a gun.. do you get to pick which one you get? NO.. you get whatever they get in for you.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find Cabelas to be a good source for much, not all, of the stuff I desire.

One thing is for sure, just like LL Bean and Leupold, I find that Cabelas stands behind every single purchase. They have always replaced anything, no questions asked, if I had the slightest complaint or problem.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Briman

There is a Cabelas 3 miles from my house. I almost never buy anything there as there is a SPortsmans Warehouse nearby too (5 miles away). Cabela's is way overpriced IMHO, but its fun to window shop there. The really nice thing about Cabrlas thoughis that they stock a lot of ammo in obscure cartridges.

MidwayUSA- my problem is with shipping costs too. I get a Dealer discount from them, but my minimum order, IIRC, is $60. The dealer discount isn't as significant now as it was about 2 years ago either. I like dealing with Midsouth Shooters supply- I can often times by things cheaper there than I can at Midway, even with a dealer discount at midway.
Seconded...

I have both here as well. One weekend I had to buy powder - 1 lb RL22, and at Cabela's thought it a bit high at $26. I bought some before at Sportsmans Warehouse and thought it was cheaper, but not sure the amount.

Next time I was at Sportsmans Warehouse, they gave me a card showing it at $17.50, a full $8.50 less than Cabelas. Next time at Cablea's I mentioned it and they matched it and gave me a refund.

Cabelas... nice store and fun to go to. Overpriced though, and from the price on the powder almost borders gouging. The fudge is good too, but that is overpriced as well.

I think that Cabela's clientele is more uppity. Guy in there once buying a SAKO rifle for "defense", and asking the clerk what the 30 in 30-06 stood for, and was wondering why the 30 is smaller than the 45, yet the shells are much bigger? LOL

At Sportsmans Warehouse, they would say here is a 357...
Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: KBacon

You wanted to look at all 5 so that you could spend a while looking them all over.. then trying to decide between which one.. While they are obviously extremely busy.. blah blah blah.. and you're complaining about others "kicking tires"?

What about the next guy that decides that he wants one "new in the box".. and it has turn marks and your grubby fingerprints all over it?

If you order a gun.. do you get to pick which one you get? NO.. you get whatever they get in for you.
I too have encountered crappy customer no service at Cablea's. In their defense though, they are usually very busy. Kinda like the Mikky D drive through for guns.