Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Free floating barrel problem ?? >

Free floating barrel problem ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Free floating barrel problem ??

Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Free floating barrel problem ??

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

If MOA is 1" per 100 yards.......I am not too far off with my good shots !! I am probably no more than 1/2" off per 100 out to 300 with 5 out of 6 shots.........but I do have that one that gets away from me when I pull (usually low and right)!!

When I am taking my time and not pulling........have many shots touching or within 1/4" of each other even at 225 !! Very impressed with the gun so far !!

My 300 yard groups had several shots within 1/2" of each other and the worst was no more than 3-3.5" off !! This is once I got in on @ 300 [8D]!!!
With groups like that, why would you want to free float it? I wouldn't tough it. I have a few guns that likes a little pressure on the barrel.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

My Tikka T3 is supposed to have a free floating barrel !! I have checked this with several different types of paper, dollar bills, etc. and they all stop at the same spot !!

Where the barrel tapers down and around the end of the "read your owner's manual" warning is where paper stops on mine !! If you are supposed to have clearance the entire length of the barrel..........wouldn't that go all the way to where the barrel is attatched.... back by the bolt ??

The gun is shooting pretty good..........would you worry about this ?

It's a Tikka T3 stainless/sythetic .270 WSM if it matters !
Some rifles require a little added pressure. Why sweat it if it's accurate? Seriously
Old 01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some rifles require a little added pressure. Why sweat it if it's accurate? Seriously
Not only that, but some rifles (NULAs iirc) are bedded from receiver tang all the way to the end of the stock and they shoot good.
Like someone already mentioned, the first 2-3" of the barrel is usually bedded with the action.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't touch it.

Tom
Old 01-30-2007, 06:42 AM

Thanks !! Just thought I would ask !!
Old 05-27-2017, 11:44 PM
Spike

Exclamation At what point are we embarrassed?

Howdy All,

Be vary careful when buying a Tikka...Just picked up a Tikka T3x in 270 Winchester two weeks ago. Took it to the range twice. Factory loads the first time (Winchester and Remington) The results at 100 yards were lackluster. Second time out I used handholds of 140GN Nosler Acccubonds. Which by the way print 3/8" clovers at 100yds in my other 270 a 1955 Steyr Mannlicher Schonauer.

The best group that I could muster with the T3x was 2" - minus the fliers...which occurred at a rate to 1-2 per 5 shots. I decided the inspect the gun thoroughly during cleaning and found the following:

1) A very slight radius midlength on the barrel. Likely a machining error that got past QA. But the stamp on the barrel and the receiver did not - ironically.
2) I slid a bill down the barrel between the stock and it stopped 3-1/2" in front of the receiver.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed. Tikka advertises a floated barrel - it is not. Tikka advertises 1MOA - it does not....and really cannot with a non-floated barrel. Floating a barrel is a fundamental element in building ANY accuracy into a rifle... Let alone guaranteeing it. At what point are we embarrassed? I know I certainly am. For being so duped.

So to end this Epistle. Look a little further than the typical paid inclusions and endorsements from the usual suspects. Chuck Hawks and Scoutlookweather to good job of getting under the hood of this issue.

I'll repost when we reach a final disposition on the matter. Until then - be careful.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

You realize this thread is over 10 years old, right?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Trooperdog
2) I slid a bill down the barrel between the stock and it stopped 3-1/2" in front of the receiver.
What does sliding a dollar bill between the barrel and stock tell you?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
What does sliding a dollar bill between the barrel and stock tell you?
From that first post of his on here and what was stated I'm of the opinion that he doesn't know much about what he's discussing!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my old bosses called moments like these, "teachable moments."

Quick Reply: Free floating barrel problem ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.