HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Please help me choose a new autoloading shotgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/17782-please-help-me-choose-new-autoloading-shotgun.html)

3.5mag 12-03-2002 03:49 PM

Please help me choose a new autoloading shotgun

I have decided to give myself a new shotgun for Christmas. But after looking at alot of them, I can't decide which on i want. If anyone has any info on any of these guns, please tell me what you think about them.
1.Traditions- Don't know much about them but was told they bought out Ithaca, and are using their factories. The gun felt very light and fit very well. Just dont know about their reliability or much else about them.
2. Beretta a390-Good fitting gun,good reputation of reliability, But the synthetic stock just felt paper thin to me,but then again it could just be my imagination.
3. Stoeger- Never even looked at one until this weekend but it looks like a nice gun. Didn't even know until the guy told me but the stoeger i looked at had a Benelli action in it. If this gun has the reputation of a Benelli i might would get it.
4.Charles Daly-Know nothing at all about these guns, but the one i held and played with fit me like a glove. Fit wise that was the best feeling gun i have ever held. But the only place i have ever seen these guns are at wally world and that leaves me suspicious about their quality.
5. Benelli m-90-- At around $850 This is the absolute highest I will even think about going. And even this much is going to hurt really bad. But it is a good fitting gun and i would love to have one,But I am not going to buy a gun that cant take a little bit of abuse, but i am sure the benelli can.

I know this isn't all of the autoloaders out there, but these are the ones that felt good to me. I'm primarily a Remington man but i held the 1100 and the 11-87 and it was like trying to shoulder a log. Not much better with the Winchester. But if I am going to drop this much money on an autoloader, i'ts going to be one of the ones above. That is if anyone can help me decide. Thanks everyone.

TScottW99 12-04-2002 03:18 AM

RE: Please help me choose a new autoloading shotgun

Tradition's autoloader I think is imported from Italy. As for the shotguns you mentioned I would get the one that feels best to me and I feel the most comfortable with, besides that I would place them in this order.....

(1) Benelli
(2) Beretta
(3) Stoeger
(4) a tie between Charles Daily & Traditions, i've played around with a couple of these and didn't care for either.

Tick a Liberal Off, Buy a Hand Gun!
http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!

TreestandEd 12-04-2002 06:29 AM

(1) Benelli Montefeltro S90 with wood stock
(2) Beretta A391 I don’t think they make a 390 any more.
(3) Browning gold series

I can tell you that I just went through this search 4 weeks ago.I found benelli solid reputation of fast,hugh qality, durable shotguns to be true. I put benelli Montefelto and Beretta A391 side by side and it came down to the benelli mostly for feel for me. After shooting it alot,it is everything it is advertised and is the easiest and most simple shotgun I ever had to take apart and clean.
I also looked at:
Benelli Montefeltro S90. light and everthing they are advertised.
Beretta A391 I don’t think they make a 390 any more.
Browning gold series.
Franchi
Remington 1187 your right they are heavy.
The Benelli and Beretta where much better than the rest. Im hopeing it is the last shotgun I ever own.

After some hard shopping I bought my benelli Montefeltro for 799$+tax here in Ohio most dealers only go as low as 825$
Good Luck

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING

Edited by - TreestandEd on 12/04/2002 07:37:34

Swampdog 12-04-2002 08:31 AM

I got a Browning Gold Hunter last year .I think it is one of the best shotguns I have ever owned.Pretty light also.Has a good feel.You might want to check one out before you make up your mind.

Danville Va.LAST CAPITAL OF THE CONFEDERACY

propmahn 12-04-2002 04:15 PM

i was going to reccomend the 1100 and 11-87 but you shot those down. though have you picked up a 1100 in 20ga man thats a nice handling gun for me and if i was doing bird hunting i think that would be it for me

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Daethorn 12-05-2002 06:44 PM

Save yourself alot of pain and misery, and do not get a Charles Daly. Mine should be returning from getting fixed for the second time. Get a Browning or Beretta, both nice guns.

trailer 12-08-2002 08:07 AM

I have a beretta mod.301. I've been hunting for year with this gun and never had any problems. It's never jammed on me once. I was thinking on getting the beretta a391 xtrema with the 3-1/2" chamber for next season. I don't know if I helped you but good luck.