Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 question for SKS gurus >

question for SKS gurus

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

question for SKS gurus

Old 01-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Default question for SKS gurus

I have a Chinese model SKS and it is an absolutely amazing rifle, very accurate, never a jam in my ownership, cheap, etc. Well I've heard of this and didnt know if possible but if so I want to know where and how much to expect. I have heard of people modifying an SKS to accept an AK detachable mag. I have a few friends who have added the after market hi-cap mags on their SKSs and they dont feed worth a crap as is most aftermarket and in theory i should assume the conversion to the AK mag should work well. so anyone heard of such?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question for SKS gurus

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

There is no good way to convert a standard SKS to accept AK-47 magazines. The rifles you heard of are known as SKS-D's, and were specially made from the factory to accept AK mags. The only option with the stock SKS's are the 'duckbill' magazines, and these are widely known for their dubious reliability. Stick with the stock mag and get used to using stripper clips.
I believe this is good advice. I bought a "sporter" stock fom my SKS, installed a 5-round replacement magazine, a scope, etc., etc. The idea was to make it into a sporting carbine that would be legal in upstate NY for deer hunting. Despite the fact that the 5-round mag. camee from Cabela's, it does NOT work. I ended up putting the original mag back on it, which does work. I suppose I could put a spacer in it to cut the capacity down to 4 or 5 rounds, but I solved the challenge of having a 7.62X39mm rifle for deer hunting by buying a CZ 527 in that caliber. It shoots "stout loads" much more accurately than the SKS and has a decent trigger to boot.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Tapco has come out with a new 20 round mag that people over at survivors sks boards are reporting good results from. It even is suppose to hold the bolt back after the last shot.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 PM

what is the availability of the sks d? I am planning on getting a T-6 stock for mine and would like a bigger mag for target/giggles. Since its my only cheap centerfire and more fun that a .22. I guess i may be stuck with the factory but if the d's arent too hard to get i'll do that.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 2006HighSierra
what is the availability of the sks d?
I've seen them at the larger gun shows for about $250-$300 range if I remember right. China made these for import into the U.S. awile ago but I dont think they are allowed to be imported anymore.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:29 PM

You can convert a SKS to use an AK-47 mag it isnt really worth the bother, Some of the duckbill mags work allright... the SKS-D work great, they're common here in Canada and go for about 200 canadian.