Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 BPS vs all other pumps >

BPS vs all other pumps

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BPS vs all other pumps

Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: BPS vs all other pumps

BPS
Old 01-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Spike

To me THE gun to pass down is a Browning.

My Grandfather passed his old Light 12 down to me in his will (28" mod, looks good but he hunted w/ it for 50+ years, I walked many miles in the woods w/ him carrying it). My father has already given me the Light 12 (32" full, looks like new). I don't have a son yet, but I'll be picking up a new Browning to pass on to him when I do.

The one thing I ask about is his build, and eventual build(can probably get a feel from looking in the mirror) if you are looking at the micro. From what I understand they are built for smaller shooters. I grew up shooting full sized guns even when I was very young, and now have a safe full of guns I can use today, not ones I have out grown.

I guess I just love Brownings though. First gun I got for Christmas was a Browning 22 semi-auto. First gun I bought was a Browning A Bolt 270 that I mowed A LOT of yards to get. First handgun I bought was a Browning Buckmark. The nice thing about these guns is they are still in my safe today. The only bad thing about them is I tend to not take them out in the field quite a much because they are so nice to look at and I want to keep them in nice shape.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: amr40509

To me THE gun to pass down is a Browning.

My Grandfather passed his old Light 12 down to me in his will (28" mod, looks good but he hunted w/ it for 50+ years, I walked many miles in the woods w/ him carrying it). My father has already given me the Light 12 (32" full, looks like new). I don't have a son yet, but I'll be picking up a new Browning to pass on to him when I do.

The one thing I ask about is his build, and eventual build(can probably get a feel from looking in the mirror) if you are looking at the micro. From what I understand they are built for smaller shooters. I grew up shooting full sized guns even when I was very young, and now have a safe full of guns I can use today, not ones I have out grown.

I guess I just love Brownings though. First gun I got for Christmas was a Browning 22 semi-auto. First gun I bought was a Browning A Bolt 270 that I mowed A LOT of yards to get. First handgun I bought was a Browning Buckmark. The nice thing about these guns is they are still in my safe today. The only bad thing about them is I tend to not take them out in the field quite a much because they are so nice to look at and I want to keep them in nice shape.
jacob is about 23" long and 12lbs. He's not quite ready to shoot yet. I think I should at least wait until he can eat solid food to give him his first shooting lesson. I am built like a chubby gater. I can shoot a Bantam with an extra butt pad on it and do just fine. I had 1/2" cut off of the stock for my 835. I think jake is going to be built more like his uncles on my wifes side of the family. They are a regular build. He can pass the micro on to his son when he has one. That was my intetion . If that is what happens I would feel pretty good about the legacy.[/blockquote]
Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: KBacon

Here's what my BPS did for me last season... Mine really likes the Hornady SST slugs..

Nice buck[/blockquote]
Old 01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

BPS for me too!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:33 PM

I think it's best to get him the best gun to start with--unless he'll outgrow it. If he's gonna outgrow in a few years or something, get him a cheap gun.

I think the Browning is worth twice the price of a Mossberg myself. I'd love to have a BPS. My favorite is the Browning Gold Hunter though.

I think you made a good choice. The gun will hold it's resale value pretty well so it's all good.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 PM

WELL, LETS JUST TAKE A LOOK AT IT. I WOULD DEFINATELY SAY THAT THE BROWNING BPS IS THE BETTER OF THE TWO.

DO I THINK THAT IT WILL SHOOT TWICE AS GOOD AS THE MOSSBERG? (PROBALLY NOT)

DO I THINK THAT IT WILL KILL A DEER OR ANY OTHER GAME ANIMAL TWICE AS DEAD AS THE MOSSBERG? ( NOPE, AS A MATTER OF FACT I KNOW THAT IT WONT)

DO I THINK THAT A BROWNING BPS IS OR SHOULD BE WORTH TWICE AS MUCH AS A MOSSBERG? (PROBALLY NOT)
"BUT I DO KNOW THIS, IN YEARS TO COME IT WILL HOLD ALOT MORE VALUE AND WILL INDEED BE WORTH (ATLEAST) 2 TIMES MORE THAN THE MOSSBERG." FIRST OFF, IN MY OPINION IT IS BETTER BUILT 100% HANDS DOWN. THE ENGINEERING THAT IS ENCORPORATED INTO A BROWNING BPS IS INCREDIBLE. WE SEE THE OBVIOUS EXTERIOR FEATURES LIKE THE BOTTOM LOAD - BOTTOM EJECT CHAMBERING FOR LEFT AND RIGHT HAND SHOOTERS, WE ALSO SEE THE SAFETY ON THE TANG (THIS FEATURE IS ALSO ON THE MOSSBERGS) WHICH ALWAYS MADE ME WONDER WHY MOSSBERG PLACED A SAFETY ON THE TANG TO MAKE IT SUITABLE FOR LEFT AND RIGHT HAND SHOOTERS BUT HADSHELLS EJECT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE RECIEVER.???? ALSO I AM NOT A HUGE FAN OF THIS ALLOY OR ALUMINUM RECIEVERS (THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM) ITS JUST MY PREFERENCE. AND BESIDES THE FACT THAT THE BPS TAKES ITS LOOKS FROM ONE OF THE BEST PUMP SHOTGUNS (THE WINCHESTER MODEL 12) MAKES THE BPS COSMETICALLY NICE TO LOOK AT. (ALTHOUGH THE WINCHESTER MODEL 12 DID NOT HAVE BOTTOM LOAD - BOTTOM FEED FEATURE, THE BROWNING BPS RECEIVER IS DERIVED FROM THE OLD CLASSIC.) BASICALLY BROWNING TOOK THE DESIGN OF THE WINCHESTER MODEL 12 ( WHICH IT ORIGINALLY WAS THIERS TO BEGIN WITH ) AND MODIFIED IT.

THEY TOOK ONE OF AMERICAS FAVORITE OLD SHOTGUNS AND MADE IT TO ACCOMIDATE FOR LEFT OR RIGHT HAND SHOOTERS BY ADDING THE BOTTOM LOAD BOTTOM EJECT FEATURE AND SAFETY ON THE TANG. BACK BORED THE BARREL TO HANDLE HEAVIER LOADS AND THERE YOU HAVE IT. A MORE PRACTICAL GUN ALL TOGETHER.

BESIDES, WHEN YOUR SON IS OLD AND HE SHOWS HIS GRANDKIDS AND THEIR HUNTING BUDDIES THE BROWNING THAT HIS FATHER BOUGHT HIM WHEN HE FIRST STARTED HUNTING, BOTH HIM AND YOU WILL BE GLAD TO KNOW THAT THAT GUN BECAME A LEGEND OVER TIME (LIKE SO MANY HAVE IN THE BROWNING AND WINCHESTER FAMILIES)(BECAUSE OF THE BROWNING NAME AND ENGINEERING BEHIND IT) AND YOU WILL BE GLADTHAT YOUR SON WAS ALL A PART OF IT.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not the best of pics but here is a pic of my BPS Stalker, 3.5" 12 ga. with a Rhino choke.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

(ALTHOUGH THE WINCHESTER MODEL 12 DID NOT HAVE BOTTOM LOAD - BOTTOM FEED FEATURE, THE BROWNING BPS RECEIVER IS DERIVED FROM THE OLD CLASSIC.) BASICALLY BROWNING TOOK THE DESIGN OF THE WINCHESTER MODEL 12 ( WHICH IT ORIGINALLY WAS THIERS TO BEGIN WITH ) AND MODIFIED IT
Nope.
The Model 12 is a fine shotgun, beter than most pumps made today, unfortunately they aren't made anymore. Much cheaper 870 wingmasters with stamped instead of milled receivers pretty much supplanted them.

The BPS is a direct copy of the Ithaca model 37- another one of the finest pumop shotguns ever made which aren't made anymore.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]Thanks for the input folks. I visited Jakes gun yesterday. I can't get it out until after the 15th of March but I wanted to make sure it had the engraved receiver. It was in the box when I put it on layaway and I thought that it did but couldn't remember. It does have the engraved receiver. I know Jacob will love the gun in a few years. Right now he loves the bottle and the feel of a fresh diaper.

Quick Reply: BPS vs all other pumps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.