Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Synt. stock help for a 700 >

Need Synt. stock help for a 700

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Synt. stock help for a 700

Old 01-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need Synt. stock help for a 700

Need some help deciding which stock to get. Im looking at making a beater gun, Im about to acquire a Rem 700, 308 with a 20 inch barrel(blued). I need a stock for this gun. I leaning toward camo but Im jut not up on the syth stocks enough. I'm not looking to spend 300$ for something super accuratejust want a good hardwoods/hunting in bad weather gun.

I dont know which to get. I plan on glass bedding whichever stock I buy and am not really worried about aluminum block style. Cabelas has the reg Rem 700 stock in camo for 100$ they list an SPS stock in camo for 119$ and the XCR stock in camo for 199$ I cant find any pics of the SPS stock in camo anywhere. I also cant figure out the difference between the SPS and XCR.I could also geta Bell and Carlson camo stock for about 170$. I want to know how much better if any the SPS camo stocks are from the regular 100$ Rem stocks and if you guys know what the differences are. Again Im not looking for a benchrest gunfor this project, just something light and carryable for some mountain hunting.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Synt. stock help for a 700

if its gonna be a beater just get a synthetic stock. i think there are several manufatures of these. if you got like 250$ the h.s. precision thumbhole for 700 is the way to go with the alluminum bedding.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 PM
bigcountry

For a beater, go to ebay and find a regular old crap remington stock and then glass or pillar bed it. For a decent gun, go with Mcmillian new edge stock. I have had a few H-S and not sure if I will have another. I liked the aluminum bed, but it really needs glass on it too. I had changing POI on occassion.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im really Jonesin' for a camo stock though going to go with a camo scope-rings combo also. I dont have any camo stuff and have plenty of black\SS and Wood\SS and Wood/Blued stuff just looking forsomething different.I guess thats the main issue. For what Im tring to put together Im sure a glass bedded synth stock will shoot fine, just dont know if the 99$ Rem stock is just junk and the SPS stock is that much better or the XCR is amazing. Im figuring the main difference is the better stocks have the R3 pads but was hoping someone on hear had one or a couple of these stocks and could steer me toward or away from them.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just checked Gun Digest..formerly Gun List mag.....There's a place called Vintage Sporting that has several 700 SA syns for sale...ADL & BDL. $45-$75.Web site...www.vintagesporting.com. You might want to check them out.....
Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out www.boydboys.com . Good luck.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:03 AM

Too bad you need a short action. I have two long action ADL synthetics I no longer need.

Anyway, here are the differences in the Remington stocks....
Regular stock - can be had in ADL or BDL style. No forend or grip panels, but there is checkering. This stock has a hard plastic feel to it, and a plain rubber recoil pad.

SPS - a BDL style stock, with R3 recoil pad (Limbsaver). The grip panels make for a better feeling stock.

XCR - a BDL style stock, with R3 recoil pad. The grey inserts in the forend and grip are a softer, "grippier" feeling rubber than the SPS.

The extra $20 for the SPS stock is probably a good idea, since the R3 recoil pad will cost you more than that. I put a Limbsaver on my Savage .375 H&H. It made a big difference in shooting comfort over the hard rubber pad that came on the Savage.

If you are serious considering the XCR stock, I would look at some other options first. A Bell and Carlson Medalist can be had for just a shade over $200. I think this is a better stock and a better deal vs. the XCR stock.