Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need help with Turkey/Waterfowl gun >

Need help with Turkey/Waterfowl gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help with Turkey/Waterfowl gun

Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Need help with Turkey/Waterfowl gun

Im looking at buying a semi-auto shotgun for both turkey and waterfowl. I own a BPS and love it but I want a semi-auto that is a workhorse. Ive looked at the Brownings, Mossbergs, and Benellis. The Brownings and the Benelli SBEII have some large price tags while the Mossbergs doesnt. Is it worth the extra money for these other shotguns? If it is I dont have a problem with it but I want it to be worth my money. Any opinions are welcome.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Need help with Turkey/Waterfowl gun

If you duck hunt some foul weather, or near salt water, and plan on doing alot of it, the SBEII is probably worth it for you. other than that, I won't pay more than $600 for a gold. I got my 3.5" for 600 used in like new condition from a guy on here. And got my 3" gold hunter for 500. I got my gold slug gun for less than $650.

Deals are out there, you just got to find them.

A goose hunting frield just got that 935. It preformed flawlessly this season duck/goose huntign.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Ill only be using it in the south and not near salt if that helps anyone.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
bigcountry

I used an 1187 for over a decade without a problem except my rubber o-ring busted. Great gun. I wished I never traded it.

I just think its outrageous to pay over 600 for these shotguns these days.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought another semi auto today.

I got (another) Beretta 390 Silver Mallard. Gun is in perfect shape. Needed a little cleaning (and only a little suprisingly). Came with the longer butt pad, which I require, all five choke tubes, wrench. Black synthetic, 28". Gave $450 for it. Great gun...can't kill'em.

I have a dedicated turkey gun...in the form of a Mossy 835. Short, light, kicks hard. Everything a turkey gun should be! But its not a duck gun.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:39 PM

I finally bit the bullet and bought a SBE a few years ago !! It is truely a workhorse of a shotgun and performs as well as everything I ever heard !

I have made some of my best shots on ducks with it and killed a turkey out in NM at 45 yards with it easily !!

I will say a couple of things :

One , is if you get one.......check the stock plates......they come with 3 and the "A" plates hit where your bead is.......the "B" plates hit right above the bead and the "C" plates hit a good bit above where the bead is !! I did not know this and mine came with the "C" plates installed and I shot over everything until I figured it out (was close to selling the gun) !! Since then I have ran across many other with the same problem and all of their guns have the "c" plates installed from the factory !! I have even heard of folks that sold them because of this issue and never knew how easy of a fix it is (even though it's in the owner's manual.......I didn't read it either......thank god for internet forums ) !!

Number 2.......I had a Benelli Nova pump which is less than half the price......isa little heavier.......I short shucked 3.5" out of it "a lot" but know people who don't do it.........but it shot just as good as my SBE if not better !! It is a great gun for the money and near bullet proof from my experience........but I wanted an auto and am extremely happy with my SBE 26" barrel......last shotgun I will probably ever buy !!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Yea Im trying to kill two birds with one stone and get a shotgun that will do both and I want a semi since I already have a pump. Thanks for the great input already guys.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:25 PM

Funny ........I just saw your from T-town.......I'll be passing through there tomorrow with my SBE to go duck hunting downbelow there !! Small world !!

Well I am originally form B-ham anyway ........but an Auburn fan [8D]!!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:43 PM

i would check out a rem 1187 12 ga i have one its a great gun
Old 01-23-2007, 09:25 PM

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

Funny ........I just saw your from T-town.......I'll be passing through there tomorrow with my SBE to go duck hunting downbelow there !! Small world !!

Well I am originally form B-ham anyway ........but an Auburn fan [8D]!!
Sweet. Good luck with the hunt.

Quick Reply: Need help with Turkey/Waterfowl gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.