Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun weight question >

Gun weight question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun weight question

Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun weight question

In your opinion at what weight do you see diminishing returns? It’s nice nothaving to lug a heavy rifle around all day during a hunt but at what point is light too light. I hunt with guys who have .300’s weighing around 6 lbs, they are beautiful rifles but they are fitted with muzzle breaks to lessen the effects of the round, but at a serious price to their hearing (too serious a cost for my liking). So if you were to buy a 7 mm mag and had a choice between a 7.75lb gun and a 6.5 lb version from the same manufacturer which would you choose? IYO do the side effects of a heavier gun outweigh those of the lighter rifle?

Me? I’ll take the extra weight. I have two guns that I hunt deer with, an M77 .270 win with a 18” barrel (around 6.5 lbs) and an MKII .257 roberts 22” barrel (~7.5 lbs) and although neither of these rounds generates serious recoil, shooting that .270 is like paying taxes. After a day of still hunting I may feel it a little more in my upper back, shoulder and forearms with the roberts (depending on how I’m holding the rifle, 70% of the time I cradle the gun in my left or right arm) but after a hot shower, two advil or a little scotch and I’m good to go. I think I can also hold steadier with the Roberts as well. I’m just curious because I’ve been reading some debates about choosing guns based on their weight.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun weight question

I'm guessing you are out West...I'm in NC...Most of my deer hunting is done either from a treestand or a tower stand...So the weight is not as important...I prefer a 7 1/2 to 8 pound gun...My deer rifle is a .243 Ruger M-77...It has a 24 inch Shilen barrel...When you pull the trigger, the rifle recoils straight back, no loss of target, no muzzle flip...My brother has a Model 7 in 7mm-08...I hate it, it has a 20 inch barrel, just feels like a toy....A heavier rifle has enough weight to hold steadier on those longer shots...Now I'm 6ft 5 and weigh about 250...I prefer a full sized bolt myself...
Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, I remenber back in the early 70's when I chose to stalk hogs in north Fl with my M1 Garand. At noon time I wanted to toss it in a pond!Never Again!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer a heavier gun to lighter. Main reason is fit and feel, but with a bad shooting shoulder less recoil on the bench is a benefit in my case as well. I don't have mountains but do hump it alot while hunting here and combat the fatique of toting the slightly heavier rig with a sling. Forthe majority of my hunting aNeoprene sling works wellI have found. When elk or moose hunting which involves calling, etc I have become fond of hands freethe Safari Sling allows. It does a good job at reducing fatigue as well.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't mind a heavy rifle to hunt with. Granted there is a weight when it's too heavy but I don't see any issue with an 8 -10 pound rifle. If you can't carry an extra 10 pounds around in the woods for a few hours maybe it's time to loose 10 pounds somewheres else and start some physical activities. Especially today when most seem content sitting in a treestand or blind, an 8+ pound rifle isn't that big of a deal.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:39 PM

I dont mind having the heavier gun. When im hunting i dont mind carrying a heavier gun all day. It helps me stay in better shape running up and down mountains all day wit a 7+ pound gun and all the extra gear i bring in case i get turned around. I usually carry around 25 to 30 pounds of gear for a day trip in the mountains, So an extra pound or two on a gun isnt that big of a deal.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer heavier guns, I'm just used to them I guess. It's really up to the individual person and the terrain your hunting. If you hunt out of a stand, having an 8 or 9 lb rifle is fine, but when your stalking your game, you'll probably thank yourself for buying a 6 lb gun.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like I'm another that doesn't mind the weight. A 10 lb rifle doesn't bother me. I'm carrying a 1969 Winchester Model 770 in 30-06. Still does the job. Original stock,.. nothings changed here since my father in law put a sling on it in 1970. Wouldn't change a thing.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 AM
DM

I'll take the lighter rifle thankyou.... That is if i have to carry it much, but these days more and more folks are hunting from blinds where the rifle weight doesn't matter so much...

6-1/2 pound rifle with a decent scope & mount, sling and loaded will be close to 8 pounds and that's plenty for me.

DM
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Iswear I flip-flop more than politicians. I went to my local gun store todayand proceeded to handle a few Kimbers. The 84m Montana was just too light for my tastes, it really felt like a toy, if you're into light weight (5lbs 2oz) than that's the rifle for you. I also looked at the 84m classic and that gun felt like a ton of bricks next to that montana but it only tipped the scales at 5lbs 10 oz according to the catalogue. It certainly felt significantly heavier than the montana. I liked the 84m classic and almost walked out with one in .308 for $749 or was it $794 (either way it was under $800).

DoI need a .308? I don't have any 30 calibers...

Quick Reply: Gun weight question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.