Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in at 300 yards ?? >

Sighting in at 300 yards ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in at 300 yards ??

Old 01-23-2007, 06:21 AM

Default RE: Sighting in at 300 yards ??

I have been trying to let the barrel cool between groups !! Not sure how long you should wait ???

I have been shooting 3-6 shots and then wating 4-5 minutes .........the barrel feels slightly warm to the touch but not "hot" by any means !!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at it this way, MOA at 100 is 3 inches at 300, add in 6 inches of deflection with a 10 knot wind and your at 9 inches. Factor in mechanics and it would be very easy to completely miss at 300. I have a 270 WSM in the Ruger 77 MKII topped with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9. With the scope at 6x shooting winchester 150 gr pp's I'm on chicken shaped silhouettes at 200 like nobodies business, move past that and the heavy trigger pull puts me low/right just about every time. Shooting my 140 accubond handloads and 130 gr SST's or BT's and the gun is very accurate to 300 meters. The first thing is to get the trigger to a point where it's not a factor, then chronograph that load to find out exactly what it does in your gun. Then you can figure out what the ballistics really are. In my experience the values giving by the manufacturers are rarely what you see in the real world and should only be used as an estimate. Then comes the fun part, practice, practice and practice some more.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

CBM,

I have shot groups from a bipod at 660 yds that measured 1 7/8's".
RR
Do you shoot in Long Range Competition? Because if you shoot that well you need to. That group would win a lot of Long Range Benchrest matches. I'm not disputing your claim, I'm just wondering. My best 5 shot group with a dedicated BR gun at 600 yards off a concrete bench with bags is a little under 4 inches. I mean 1 7/8" at 660 yds is 5/16 MOA and then throw any wind in and that is awe inspiring.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

CBM...Have you had the trigger adjusted?? If not, have a gunsmith take it down to 2 1/2 -3 pounds..

Also...with my gun, I shoot two shot groups, then let it cool, the 3rd shot will be high almost every time...

This all being said, the more you practice, the better you will get...I find that most guys really don't need to be shooting in a hunting situation much past 150 yards...

Once you get the gun sighted in, get off the bench, use a bipod, rest, whatever you will use in your deer stand and shoot that way...After all, it's more important how you shoot from a field position than from a bench...

One thing I like to do is put up a blank 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, set it up horizontal (this is about the size of the lungs on a deer) and shoot at that, this lets you know if all your shots are in the kill zone...

Look at it this way...How long did it take you with a bow to keep all your arrows inside 3-4 inches at 30 yards???

Trust me, 300 yards in the field is a long shot, especially down South, most of our deer are not too far from a cutover or a swamp...When you get that opportunity, you need to be absolutely positive that you can put the deer down quickly....Its not like out West, where you can see the deer run off 100 yards or so after the shot...In over 40 years of deer hunting, I have only killed a handfull of deer at 250-300 yards, and our farms in eastern NC are large, and the land flat...I love to hunt soybean fields, but most deer are still killed in the 75-175 yard range...

Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 PM

NCH .......I have not had the trigger set yet......the Tikka is supposed to come in @3# so I thought I would just try it..... but it does not feel that light to me !!

Interesting about the 3 shot groups !! Because I am getting a lot......in fact mostly 2 very close or touching and one high/righta little .......or 2 close and one just high.......but mostly one high and slightly right after my first 2 shots !!

Thanks for all the advise!!

Also this gun is supposed to have a completely free floating barrel !! The owners manual says to check this by running a piece of paper around .5mm thick down the entire length of the barrel !! Well I can only get it about half way ........even with a thinner piece of paper........would you guys look into that......does it really matter.......what would you do ??? I bought the gun pretty far away so it's not like I can just run down the street and take it back !!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:05 PM

I have a tikka t3 lite stainless and i can run it almost all the way down. Try it with a dollar bill, its less still and might go a little smoother.

If you can literally only get it half way, i would bring it to a gunsmith just to see if they think its a problem (which they should beable to just look at it for free) and if they say yes, see what they would do for it, then call beretta and see what they say.

also, the trigger comes stock at 3.5 lbs (im pretty sure).

Its really easy to lower it, and i just did it last week and it feels a lot better, and it was pretty darn good to start out with!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

A free floating barrel means just that. FREE FLOATED. It should have no contact all the way to the barrel lug. Is the lug bedded?

1 7/8's" at 660 yards with a bipod. Not even a tripod. Are you shooting off a hard surface? I live in Morgantown, WV. I have my own rifle range out to 540 yards. I would sure love to see someone shoot like that. Tom.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:52 PM

i have a savage model 110 30.06 with a bsa mil dot 4-16x40ir and i'm usingremington core-lokt 150gr. psp. and i'm having a very hard time sighting in. any advice? i'd like to get a 3" or less group at 200m
Old 01-27-2007, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

I got my Tikka T3 .270 WSM last friday !! It was easy to get on at 100 yards and even 200 yards !!

But at 250-300 yards I didn't do very well !! When I backed back up to 200 yards I shot well !! I had some great groups with this gun at 100 and 200 with all 3 ammo's I tried !!

My gut feeling was that I was hitting to the right at 300 yards but I couldn't tell on the backstop because it was shot so many times by others !!

There was about a 10 mph wind going from left to right that day !!

My question is probably very simple.........is this more than likely just me ?Maybe Ijust see the target "that" much better at 200 yards.........maybe I am pulling a little ??? I just don't see how I can hit so good at 200 and be off 4-6 " to the right at 250-300 yards !!

I tell you one thing.........good 300 yard shooter's have my respect now !!
Although this is my first real rifle shooting in many years(been 99% bow for 10 years)!!
You have a Tikka in 270 WSM. But you failed to say what type and grain of the round. My statistics on a 140 grain Accubond shows that the wind drift will go from 2.2 inches at 200 yards to 5.5 inches at 300 yards given a 10 mph cross wind. It very well sounds like it could have been the cross wind at maybe more like 12 mph.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

CBM when you said you couldn't get a paper down more than part way of the barrel a light bulb went off in my head.
I bought a 25/06 tika t-3 and couldn't get it to shoot very good sometimes it would shoot fair and sometimes it would shoot not at all even at 100 yds.I thought that something was wrong with the crown the way it was acting with different gr bullets.
I sent it back they didn't say what was wrong with it and I couldn't tell they had done anything to it but now it really shoots.
reading your post I remembered that I had tried to get a dollar bill down barrel to check the floating and it wouldn't go but a little more than half way.I just went and checked mine again and now I can slide a dollar bill all the way down.So now I am thinking that was the problem instead of the crown????
All I know is that it has shot a lot of one hole groups since I got it back.
I got a 308 in the t-3 varmit and it was shooting some one hole groups soon as I got the scope set.
Also I have a 270 wsm in browning stalker and after 2 shots it is too hot to shoot untill it cools a few minutes.
I shoot at a range one to three times a week and 300 yds is a long way,it takes practice some days I shoot some very tiny groups and some days I am all over the paper.
tater19,I would try another brand and bullet in your savage,some guns just don't like certain bullets or loads.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/owensby/tikkaaccbond222333.jpg?t=1169953281

Quick Reply: Sighting in at 300 yards ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.