Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in at 300 yards ?? >

Sighting in at 300 yards ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in at 300 yards ??

Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Default RE: Sighting in at 300 yards ??

Got it on this weekend !! This is how my screwed up journey has been :

Finally decided on a gun and caliber ! Read as many ballistic tables as I could stand ! Decided from the tables that I wanted to shoot 2.5" high at 100 and it would only be 3.2" low at 300 ......screw up #1 !!

First time I started shooting it.......like I said......100 was easy with any shells !!

Now screw up #2 ..........put up a target at 200 but did not take my rangefinder..........so my great 200 yard groups...... I figured out this weekend were only 165 yards !!

Screw up #3 .......started shooting @300 and could not tell where I hit......but was missing the target for sure.......just couldn't tell where I was hitting the backstop !! Changed bullets several times and only hit the 300 yard target twice out of a bunch of shots !!

So this weekend I took all the advise and went back at it ! I tried Fed. 140Nosler Accubond because I thought that they grouped the best the first time !! I took my rangefinder, I took new targets, I took my cleaning stuff and cleaned after every 5 shots , I shot all my long range shots one bullet at a time !! Light wind was blowing straight towards me !

100 yards I got it down to 1.75 " high at 100 !! I tried 300 again and missed the target every time.........this time I stuffed paper in each of the holes in the backstop(where the target was no covering)so I would know where the new holes hit .......missed the entire target every time (so I was disappointed and frustrated) !!

I was shooting across the tail end of a lake and the near side was 165 yards the far side was 227 yards ! So I set up the target at 227 yards and fired one off (3-3.5" high).......shot another one and hit right next to it !!Realized then that I was shooting very high at 250-300 yards (like over the target high)[8D]!!!

So I brought it down to pretty much dead on at 227 yrds and shot at 300 and had a great group and was only shooting about 2.5" low !!

Now I am extremely happy with the gun and how well it shoots !! I am totally shocked at how flat the gun shoots and how bad I was off to start with ...........right now the gun is like 1" high at 100 ......dead on at 225.......and 2.5-3" low at 300 (much different than the ballistic data)!!

I am right handed and every time I pull bad I shoot low and right .........I think the2 times I hit the target the other weekend @300 was when i pulled !! With the wind I was dealing with that weekend and the fact I was shooting real high........there no telling where most of my bullets went !!!

Thanks again for all the help and advise......I got plenty to learn still !!!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting in at 300 yards ??

Glad to hear you got it figured out.