HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   I got my first gun! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/175389-i-got-my-first-gun.html)

younggun308 01-15-2007 06:59 AM

I got my first gun!

Hey guys, you may wonder where I've been lately, well, here's the reason,I got my gun!

It's a brand newRemington Model 673 "Guide Rifle" in .308 Win.,with a Shooters Edge 3x9x50 scope!

I got a great deal on it, only $554 at Legends Outdoor Advantage in Athens, Tennessee!

I got to shoot it on Saturday, and I didn't hold to fore-arm right, so when I fired my very first shot while sighting it in, the scope hit me right above the eyebrow!:D

That's good though, 'cause with the first shot, I learned to respect my rifle.

It shoots great. I feel no recoil at all, and I actually found that it recoilsless than my grandpa's .22-250.

Thanks for you input and support while I was looking for a gun, I think this gun is all I'll really ever need as far as centerfire rifles go.

younggun308 01-15-2007 07:02 AM

RE: I got my first gun!

Picture Below

Rebel Hog 01-15-2007 08:01 AM

Posting for Younggun243

eldeguello 01-15-2007 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Hey guys, you may wonder where I've been lately, well, here's the reason,I got my gun!

It's a brand newRemington Model 673 "Guide Rifle" in .308 Win.,with a Shooters Edge 3x9x50 scope!

I got a great deal on it, only $554 at Legends Outdoor Advantage in Athens, Tennessee!

I got to shoot it on Saturday, and I didn't hold to fore-arm right, so when I fired my very first shot while sighting it in, the scope hit me right above the eyebrow!:D

That's good though, 'cause with the first shot, I learned to respect my rifle.

It shoots great. I feel no recoil at all, and I actually found that it recoilsless than my grandpa's .22-250.

Thanks for you input and support while I was looking for a gun, I think this gun is all I'll really ever need as far as centerfire rifles go.
Congratulations. Sounds/looks like a nice piece. >308 Win.=good cartridge!

If your scope hits you on the face somewhere, you have it mounted too far to the rear. You need to move it forward, so there's NO CHANCE of it hitting you when you fire. If it does,when you're shooting at game, you will:

a. worry about it hitting you, and mess up your shot, or
b. get clobbered by the scope

Neither effect is desireable, and can be prevented! A sliced, bloody eyebrow is a steep price for a deer, IMO!

str8shooter48 01-15-2007 08:47 AM

Congrats, Nice looking rifle. I remember my first gun. Nothing as nice as that. A used J.C. Higgins (sears) 20ga.bolt action shotgun. That was my pride and joy 40 years ago.:D

mossy33oak 01-15-2007 10:17 AM

nice lookin rifle younggun.

buttonbuckmaster 01-15-2007 10:35 AM

I saw the EXACT same gun over the weekend at a pawnshop/gun shop w/o a scope for $800!!! You got a bargain!

younggun308 01-15-2007 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

If your scope hits you on the face somewhere, you have it mounted too far to the rear. You need to move it forward, so there's NO CHANCE of it hitting you when you fire.
Nope, it's just fine. See, I hadn't fired a high-powered rifle in 2 years at this point, except a 22-250, and with the 22-250, you can put your fist under the forearm, and that'll work.

However, I did that with the .308, and you can't put your fist under the forearm of the .308, you have to actually hold it, otherwise the scope will hit you.
I learned this the hard way, but now I know that I need to hold the fore-arm, and that I can't put my fist under it.
What happened to me could have happened with any rifle in the.30 calrange out there, and also a fair amount of .20s.

Pighunter56 01-15-2007 03:48 PM

Congrats, younggun, and good luck to you and your rifle.

zrexpilot 01-15-2007 03:51 PM

niccccccccce !
But how could it possibly kick less than a 22-250. aint buying that.