Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rossi Matched Pair 20 GAUGE / .243 WIN >

Rossi Matched Pair 20 GAUGE / .243 WIN

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rossi Matched Pair 20 GAUGE / .243 WIN

Old 01-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Spike

Default Rossi Matched Pair 20 GAUGE / .243 WIN

One of the reasons i want to get back into hunting is my kids. My little girl has been asking me to take her deer hunting since she was 5. I told her she was too young and that when she got to be 10 years old i would. Low and behold this year will be my little girls 10th birthday.

So i am looking for a starterfirearm for my 10 yr old small framed little girl. I want a single shot mostly because that is what i learned to use as my first firearm. As well as for the many safety features a single shot offers. The Rossi has been recommended to me by my local gunshop owner/gunsmith. I like the idea of one weapon serving mutilple purposes. The 20 Gauge makes for a good all round small game firearm from squirrels to turkey alltough i would prefer a full choke instead of modifed on turkeys. The .243 Win is capable of taking whitetail I assume that it would be capable of hog hunting as well.

I want yalls opinions on this. Long shots wont be attempted and from what I hear arent presented much here in FL due to the thickness of the undergrowth here in our native forests.

I have allready been to the local range whitch teaches everything from basic safety classes to Concealed Carry classes and everything inbetween. I plan to sign us both up for some courses. Me to refresh and i am sure do some new learning and her to help me teach her not only from her daddy telling her but allso seeing that her daddy is there to learn as well.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rossi Matched Pair 20 GAUGE / .243 WIN

My 9 year old son has the Rossi matched set, (20ga/.243/.22) and I feel it is the absolute best deal out there to start a kid shooting with. Started with the .22 and changed the barrel over to the .243 for the youth deer season. I scoped the .22 and .243 (the barrels are already drilled and tapped) for him. I am so in love with this firearm system, that I am going to get my 8 year old son the set with the .410/.22/.45 cal ML for his birthday in March. With 2 frames and 6 barrels they will be able to hunt just about anything out there.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 AM

I bought my son the Rossi 20Gauge/.243 win two months ago...and I must say he can shoot a 1 inch group from about 50yds...we we are hunting he might have to shoot at a deer up to 100yds, at the most.

also like kenman said the barrel comes already drilled and tapped so you can put a scope on there...I would suggest to get the tallest rings you can and her still be able to look thru the scope so that she will be able to pull the hammer back which will be under the scope.

almost forgot my son is 8 and I bought him Federal Power.Shok 100 grain soft point to shoot in the .243...and I must say for the price he has a gun that will last him many years to come.

The best part about the Rossi is that I fill its the safest gun a child could hunt with.

1. its hinged action lets you see in the barrel
2. nice trigger saftey
3. it comes with a tarus lock that you can lock with a key when stored.
4. big thick recoil pad
5. nice weight

Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Spike

Thanks for the Replys. Sounds like a good choice for her.What type scope would you suggest for it?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigaggie77

I would suggest to get the tallest rings you can and her still be able to look thru the scope so that she will be able to pull the hammer back which will be under the scope.
The matched set came with a hammer extension for use with the scope. The rings my son got were pretty low, and he wouldn't have been able to pull the hammer back without the extension.

As far as what type of scope...I just put a cheapo Bushnell 3x9 on it. If he breaks it, no biggie to replace it.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:04 AM

for a young hunter I would suggest a BSA scope 3-9 X 40 SP its only about $40 and it a great buy and its really good to about 200yds my son has one on his .243 and I even love it.