HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   what is the "real" difference or benefit? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/174623-what-real-difference-benefit.html)

MichaelT. 01-10-2007 07:12 PM

what is the "real" difference or benefit?

Is there a difference or benefit to getting something like a .270 wsm or a .243 wssm vs the standard caliber and shooting Hornady light or heavy magnum loadings? I am not using those 2 calibers specifically, but just using them as an example.

Thanks

God Bless

JagMagMan 01-10-2007 07:18 PM

RE: what is the "real" difference or benefit?

The only real world difference is short action vs. standard actions, AND really, the difference in ammo prices! Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the new calibers, but they really have not invented anything in the last 25 years or so, that we just could not live without!

Baleful Scout 01-10-2007 11:01 PM

It is not the rifle or the cartridge that gets the job done.
It is what is behind it.
That is the "Real" difference.
I say benefit not worth the cost.

Briman 01-11-2007 01:21 AM

The real benifit is that you get to pay more for a much more limited selection of ammo that is neither sold everywhere nor has a great chance of being around 10 years from now. Oh wait....;)

James B 01-11-2007 04:29 AM

While there is nothing wrong with lots of choices, the standard calibers have been doing the job for many years and most of the new stuff was not needed.However I have tried my share or more of the new stuff with no regrets.

I have done a lot of hunting and used lots of different guns but a 22 RF, a 270/280/30-06 and a big thumper if needed, would have done it all well.

retrieverman 01-11-2007 05:56 AM

I personally wouldn't put WSM and WSSM in the same catagory. I believe the WSMs (at least 270 and 300) are here to stay, but I am not so sure about the WSSMs. My rule of thumb for using a caliber is that I have to be able to buy ammo at WalMart (it may not be the exact grain or brand, but it would get me by in a lurch). That being said, I have never failed to find 300 WSM or 270 WSM at any WalMart that I have been to. I do own 2 300 WSMs, but you can do the same job with a standard 300 WM and have a larger choice of bullets and weights.

Wolf killer 01-11-2007 07:01 AM

What JagMagMan said.

nchawkeye 01-11-2007 01:02 PM

Around here, in NC...They just aren't needed..If out west where you might run into longer shots and elk...I'd still opt for a .300 Win Mag or a 7mm Rem Mag...Frankly everyone that I know that bought a Short Mag has only a few years hunting experience, they are trying to "one up" everyone else....If you want something different to tinker with and reload for and like to spend your money on such, go for it!!!

eldeguello 01-11-2007 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

The only real world difference is short action vs. standard actions, AND really, the difference in ammo prices! Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the new calibers, but they really have not invented anything in the last 25 years or so, that we just could not live without!
This man is absolutely correct!!

[email protected] 01-11-2007 06:34 PM

I haven't shot any of the new stuff, but I strongly suspect that the short fat cases would not feed as reliably as the regular, old fashoned stuff. And I'd expect the ssm's to be the worst of all. I do like the idea of getting away from the belted cases though.