Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Almost there but ran into a delimma ...need quick help?? >

Almost there but ran into a delimma ...need quick help??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Almost there but ran into a delimma ...need quick help??

Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Almost there but ran into a delimma ...need quick help??

I had decided on the A-bolt II .280 all black (he has it for $629) and a Meopta Meostar 3x12x56-30mm ($699)! I really like this set up and while not a nice as I started off looking into.........I think this will be plenty of gun for me and I won't have to sell everything I own(just 3 guns...instead of 4 and a bow) !! The store only sells new and doesn't trade in guns....Itold him to come up with a package price with mounts anda sling and call me back!!

But.......I just went to pick up my son's gun from a gun smith ! He has 2 Rem.700 SPS(or whatever the cheapest ones are) for $450 .....one is a .30-06 and one is a .7mm Mag ! The biggest thing is he has a Swarovski PV 3x12x50 for $1000 ! He is willing to trade and I probably will not have to come out of pocket any money ! He will do the trigger work to get it to 2.5# !! I am not as excited about this gun but it would save some hassle of selling the guns I have to sell to get a new rifle !!

What would you guys do ??

I know I sound like an idiot since I started off last week wanting a Kimber Montana and a Ziess Diavari VM/V........but reading posts has definately steered me in this direction and I would appreciate any help !! I don't mind laying it all out there if I can get some help ! Thanks-Brent !!

BTW.... I am trading a Winchester 101 Field grade o/u 12g , a S&W .38 snub SS, and a Ruger Single Six with both cylinders !The Win. and S&Ware in real good shape.......the Ruger is indescent condition but has some scratches and stuff !

Old 01-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Almost there but ran into a delimma ...need quick help??

Can you include the link to your other discussion that swayed you away from the kimber with the zeiss glass. Then I'll comment.

Tom
Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 AM

Ohhhh I have 2 or 3 threads on this board........and I have read every post I can find on the internet for a week now !! 24hour campfire.......Opticstalk.....Mississippihunters or something........I mean you name it and I have been there this past week !! [8D]

Getting a gun by this weekend for no other reason than to stop driving myself crazy !!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tough call on this one? I would be leaning towards buying from the gunsmith. Let us know what you decide?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read your posts. Here is my .02. I would get the Kimber. I would also get lower end glass than what you looking at. A Zeiss Conquest is more than you need for your shooting situation. Yes I did read that you will be shooting after dark. If those other scopes are better than we are talking like in the thousanths place and your eyes are probably aged enough for it not to make a difference.

Another point worth making is that I have a VX'-III and (2) VX-II,s and (3) Simmons Aetecs and the Aetecs have better light gathering ability. So you don't always get what you pay for.

I wouldn't rush this decision. You'll be living with it for a while.

Tom
Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Zeiss Conquest is more than you need for your shooting situation. Yes I did read that you will be shooting after dark.
Yes, I agree. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3 x 9 x 50 and with any moonlight at all I don't need a light to shoot at night.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:30 PM

I think I am definately going to get the A-bolt .280 ........just don't think I will be happy unless I go that route !!

Now the question is ..........do I trade the guy out for the Swarovski PV 3x12x50 or do I "ginea pig" the Meopta 3x12x56 mm and give you guys a review !!

Seriously......which scope do you guys think would be better/brighter/last longer, etc. ???
Old 01-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

CDM....is the scope you are talking about new or used?. If it's new ii's a heck of a deal becuase they are right at $1500. Shoot if you dont want itgive me a # of the smith and I'll add it to my collection.
Even if it's used and in good shape it's a deal.

Oh by the way, I would go with a stainless/synthetic Sako M75/85 with the Zeiss Divari 3x12x56, I have one and wouldnt hesitate to take it anywhere. Shhot great and you can see with it way after legal shooting hours here in the states.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seriously....There are plenty of quality scopes out there in the $200-400 price range that will serve your needs just as well as a more expensive scope....If you were loaded with $$$ I would say, spend it if you want it...But, when you mentioned that you are selling guns to finance....Nope, I would not put a $1,000 scope on a deer rifle...That will be the one that gets stolen, dropped, broken...etc....

When I bought my Ruger M-77 in .243 in 1980 I put a $130 Bushnell Scopechief on it (a very good scope in 1980)....I killed at least 80-100 deer or so with this scope until I upgraded to a Leupold VX-II about 10 years ago...Have killed another 50 or so with this setup....Yes, you do need a good scope....Not a $1,000 dollar scope to kill deer....And, yes our deer in NC also move late, in fact I have killed deer by the moonlight...Perfectly legal as they were eating my soybeans and peanuts...

A Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch, Bushnell 3200 or 4200, Leupold VX-II or VX-III and probably several others will do all you ever need to do...

If you had 15-20 years of deer hunting under your belt, and were getting a custom stocked rifle to deer hunt with, I'd tell you to spend the $$$...But the average guy will never be able to tell the difference or justify the $$$.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I could have three good rifles, or one ultimate rifle. I would go with one ultimate rifle. Buy the best now!!! If you do not, then you will do it later in life, which will only cost you more. Tom.

Quick Reply: Almost there but ran into a delimma ...need quick help??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.