Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me build a rifle >

Help me build a rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me build a rifle

Old 01-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Help me build a rifle

A good friend of mines dad just passed away.While digging through his stuff he found two older sako long actions.He has offered to give me one to build a rifle with.So I am looking for input on caliber,barrel and stock options.I am leaning toward a 300 win mag for caliber,but am open to other options.This will be more of a long range, beanfield type rifle.I do want to stay with commercially available ammo.Any input is appreciated.His dad was a gun lover and an avid shooter.So I want to make him proud.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Help me build a rifle

Put a Krieger barrel and chamber that puppy for the Warbird!!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I would do something that would have been from his dad's era. Roy Weatherby was a hero to many back in the day, and most of our "magnumitis" today comes from seeds ol' Roy planted back in the 1940s.

I'd get a nice, composite stock, a Jewel trigger, a Lilja barrel 26" long and have the rig chambered for the original...and ol' Roy's favorite...the .270 Wby Mag. Not a finer long-range deer/elk round exits.....!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find a GOOD gunmaker. He will ask questions and welcome your i9nput during the rifle making progress
Old 01-09-2007, 08:44 PM

For a "beanfield" caliber (and I assume deer?) I'd look as calibers like 25-06, 270,7mm and the good ole 30-06. Not very exotic or "custom" but if we're gonna stay with factory ammo that takes advantage of a long action I think those are solid choices. Most the others that come to mind are either short action or not very available. Hairtrigger has good advice. Shop around. I'd look at it as a prime oppurtunity to get your feet wet with reloading. Yeah, there's some start up cost....but your building a custom gun. Consider part of a package deal. Then I might go with 270 Ackley Improved just spice things up a bit
Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 PM

I appreciate the advice,keep it coming.This rifle will be used primarily for deer. However, I would like a gun that I could take out west for elk.I know an ought six is plenty for elk.But I already have one.So I think a magnum is in order.I have reloaded in the past and have the equipment,just not the time right now.So far I'm leaning toward the 30 cal remmington ultra mag or weatherby and also the 7mm rem mag and 7mm ultra mag.The biggest question is which brand and contour of aftermarket barrel?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Krieger is top of the top of the line. There's also Hart, Shilen and few mor that I'm sure I've forgotten, ER SHAW isn't a "match-quality" barrel but there's little wait on a custom order and they're very well priced. I've heard something along the lines of "they shoot better than they have any business shooting," considering their price.

Fight the temptation to go with a heavy barrel and build a "tack-driver" if you're goin' out west with it. It helps but is usually uneeded in a custom hunting gun with a match-grade barrel. You oughta still be able to get under MAO accuracy.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 7mm remington ultra mag would be awfully hard to beat as far as cartridge.Any of the top barrel makers will more than satisfy your needs.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:29 PM

.300 win mag is a very fine caliber, as very versitile and powerful at the same time.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you have an 06 I would look at a .300wm or .338wm . The .338wm would be a good compliment to your 06. Good luck there are so many good caliburs these days.

Quick Reply: Help me build a rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.