Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
think i'm crazy wanting to prove a point? >

think i'm crazy wanting to prove a point?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

think i'm crazy wanting to prove a point?

Old 11-28-2002, 04:11 PM

Default think i'm crazy wanting to prove a point?

i'll be going moose hunting in a couple weeks and i'm going with a friend of mine. we started talking about what guns we would bring and he said he wanted to bring his 375 H&H along and i said as a joke i'd take my 260 rem along. he laughed as i expected he would but he laughed a bit to long. then he said totally serious that a 260 rem wouldn't kill a moose. i said sure it would. he said no it wouldn't. it went back and forth like that for a while and basically he said if i was so sure it would i should take my 260 along for moose then. if i can actually shoot kill and recover a moose he's buy me a new tree stand. if i didn't i'd have to buy him one. i don't really doubt that the 260 can take a moose. the sweeds use their 6.5x55's all the time and they kill em just fine. i was thinking of reloading some 140gr barnes x bullets or some 140gr tbbc's in my 260 for this hunt. do u guys think it's childish and stupid to try and prove a point like this and risk wounding a moose or are u confident the 260 with a 140gr barnes or tbbc's is up for the job? i wouldn't bring it if i didn't think it could do the job but i'd like to hear what u have to say about it.

cheers
Old 11-28-2002, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: think i'm crazy wanting to prove a point?

It'll work just fine. Knock'em where it counts.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-28-2002, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah it'll work fine. Just put it where it needs to be.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Keep your shot 200yds and under, with a premium bullet, you should do just fine. The fact that you plan on reloading with premium bullets like TBBC, X-bullets, or even Partitions or Grand Slams, at factory equivalent or slightly hotter loading, makes you odds even better by 2x. With a 140gr premium bullet at a good velocity, with good accuracy, you should be able to place your shot where it needs to be. But, be prepared to have to turn a shot or some shot opportunities down. Be patient and wait for the right shot opportuniy to present itself, as even with a good premium bullet, you will not have the bone smashing power that your friend with the .375 H&H, has. Better no shot at all, than a wounded non-recovered animal. That way you both can call it a draw, and no one looses.

Old 11-28-2002, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-28-2002, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey I took 3 bulls with my 270 2 with 140 gr failsafes and 1 with 150 gr Nosler part. I just limited the shots to 200 yards and vitals. Put her home and enjoy your new treestand!

Is it childish? Yeah...but a man has to defend his rep, doesn't he. Then add a bet and free stuff...isn't like freddy flintstone would say "BET!BET!BET!BET!" LOL

Old 11-28-2002, 10:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a good idea skeeter, get him to bet his 375 H&H against your .260 and take his rifle from him and get a moose to boot.