This rifle was bought for big..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me scope my new rifle! >

Help me scope my new rifle!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me scope my new rifle!

Old 01-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me scope my new rifle!

ORIGINAL: Idaho hunter 58

If you had roughly a 1000 dollars to spend on a scope and rings what would you get? They have to be sturdy enough to handle the recoil abuse, and they have to be able to give the clearness and magnification to shoot long range.
I have never owned a Nikon but know a bunch of guys that do, and they all like them great until they look through my Zeiss'. There is a difference. From what I have seen price-wise, you will probably have to spend in the $350-450 range for a Nikon Monarch, and for that money, you can get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9. When I originally read this thread, I was under the impression that you were prepared to spend $1000 on optics for your new gun. I apologize for going on and on about Zeiss scopes. You should be able to find something in the Nikon line to suit your needs.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, on higher recoiling "big bangers" one should use smaller, lighter weight scopes with lots of eye relief. To me that says Leupold. Check out the new VX7.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 PM

No I am willing to spend up to a thousand on the scope, not saying that I will, butI have no problem doing so. I don't have the money burning a whole in my pocket so i am not going to rush out and spend a grand for no reason if i like a 600 dollar scope.

They way i see it, this is my dream rifle, close to 2 grand just on the rifle, i am not going to skimp out on the scope now when i don't need one for a few months, I am no hurry to rush off and grab a cheap scope that won't properly finish my rifle.

Def between the leupold custom, I like the idea of my scope being unique. And the other main leader at the time is something in the zeiss line.

Magnification still is up in the air, i really like the 4.5-14-50, but scout makes some good points about the smaller magnification scopes. I will have to check this out in person.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 PM

I put a nikon buch masters on my stevens and its a great little scope. 3-9x40 power and a plex recticle. works just fine for me and even has a real tree hardwoods camo sceme on it.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just check them out in person like you said. Youcan't go wrong with either the Zeiss or the Leupold. IMO.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my nikons and I have them on alot of different caliburs from a .220 swift to a .300 win mag. The buck masters for hunting and the monarch for the range.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:28 PM

well it sounds like i am def going to have to go check out all these scopes this weekend, and then report back.

thanks for all the advice so far.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend going no higher than 10X, and buy the scope with the best eye relief. If yourthinking of using this as a dangerous game rifle the lower the magnifcation the happier you'll be with that big kicker. Besides while it is nice to crank up that ring for the far off shots with practice you shouldn't need to.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

NIKON. I have looke through every single scope at the Sportsman's and thing the Nikon monarch is as clear, if not better the all others in the price range. Also, the Nikon Buck master is anabsolutely awesome scope. I'm getting the 4.5-14X44 for my 'custom' remmy. (7 Mag)I really like the side focus feature.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 PM

really? I'll def check that out this weekend.

Quick Reply: Help me scope my new rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.