HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Mossberg price (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/173871-mossberg-price.html)

bullet_magnet 01-06-2007 03:12 PM

Mossberg price

hey guys went to the shop and looked at a very mildly used mossberg 500A 12 gauge, comes with a 4 chokes, the stock barrel, and a deer slug barrel, and a hard carrying case. The shop owner said $255 for all of it.

What do you guys think?

Crew Dawg 01-06-2007 03:19 PM

RE: Mossberg price

Sounds like a great deal. A 12ga. 500 goes for 200 even at Wal-Mart here. And that is with just a shot barrel.

Paul L Mohr 01-06-2007 03:22 PM

I'm not sure what standard used 500's go for, but you can get a new one for around 250 after taxes and they come with three chokes. I beleive the combo models that come with a rifled barrel and standard barrel are around 3-4 hundred dollars.

If it is in good shape I think it's worth it considering it comes with two barrels and a hard case. If it's beat to heck you might want to consider forking up the extra cash and getting a new one.

Is the rifled barrel a cantilver for scope mounting or rifle sights and which would you want when deer hunting? If you want to mount a scope and it has iron sights I would pass. Even though the mossbergs come drilled and tapped for a scope rail on the reciever you would be much better off getting a cantilever barrel and mounting the scope to the barrel. More accurate and cosistant that way.

You could check gun broker.com to see what a 500 goes for used. If it were me and it had a cantilever barrel with it I would probably get it. If I had the spare cash that is.;)

Paul

bullet_magnet 01-06-2007 03:34 PM

yea to be honest i thought it was brand new

until i read the tag saying it wasnt

the shop owner said it was a gun that he had recieved at auction from the state, must have been confiscated from a drug dealer or something lol.

but yea gun was in great shape, chokes and barrels all had their own little cases inside the large hard gun case.

im not much of a scope guy so the slug barrel doesnt really matter to me.

What is the capacity? the owner seemed pretty sure it was 4 rounds

bullet_magnet 01-06-2007 03:38 PM

also what choke should i be using for trap shooting?

mauser06 01-06-2007 04:03 PM

that aint bad. isnt a steal...atleast around here. most used 500s with shot barrel and chokes go for 135ish. that rifled barrel does sell new for 100-150 i believe..so thats about the going price...good gun exspecially for the money. i beat mine to death and never ever had a problem. one morning i was beating it up goose hunting. heavy 3 inch steel loads..in and out of a canoe ect...had lunch..then it was about 250rds of dove loads pretty much non stop.

for shooting trap id use probably a modified choke tube. though it depends on how far and fast the targets are..

general chokes tightest to open:
extra full
full
modified
improved
cylinder

if the targets are close go with an open choke..if they are far or you want a really tight pattern(like turkey hunting) go with a tight choke..but pattern the gun with diffrent loads and chokes and learn how it shoots. alot of guys will argue but i think alot of guys use shot that is too big and chokes that are too tight. they laugh when i show up to grouse hunt with a improved or modified choke and 8 shot or 7.5 for grouse..they use 6s in mod chokes and thats just too tight of a pattern for our close quick grouse hunting..im the one always carrying birds in the game bag!

bullet_magnet 01-06-2007 08:34 PM

alright cool thanks

does this seem like a deal i should in fact take for my first gun?

and how many rounds does this shotgun hold?

M77man 01-07-2007 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bullet_magnet

hey guys went to the shop and looked at a very mildly used mossberg 500A 12 gauge, comes with a 4 chokes, the stock barrel, and a deer slug barrel, and a hard carrying case. The shop owner said $255 for all of it.

What do you guys think?
Personally, I've never had any great accuracy from Mossbergs.

Dixon 01-07-2007 06:59 AM

I've never had an issue when it comes to accuracy with the Mossbergs, however, no two guns are the same. Mine's a different model (835 Ulti-Mag Thumbhole Turkey Series) though.

I've had issues with different loads for my Mossberg. Federal Mag-Shok #5High Velocity Turkey Loads seem to be the best for mine.

bullet_magnet 01-07-2007 08:00 PM

ok cool, from what i've been told they're a solid shotgun

so all in all everyone votes buy it?