Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun for my son question >

Gun for my son question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun for my son question

Old 01-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun for my son question

I am into muzzle loading and want my 8 year old son to start hunting with me during the firearms season when I use my muzzle loader. I like this gun made by Rossi-
http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S201220RS&category=MATCHEDPA IR

It is a 20ga and 22cal all in one gun. I could take him squirrel and deer hunting with this one. I know you get what you pay for so in your guy's opinion is there another gun out there that will give me the versatility of this gun that is of higher quality and only costs a little more? Remember my son is 8 so eventually we will be in the market for a better gun, this one is just to get him started and out there with me.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun for my son question

I think that the Rossi paired barrel guns are a pretty decent buy that offers you and your son exactly what you said... a several season and several use gun very affordably.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

H&R or New England Firearms.. Same thing.. Would rather one of those over the Rossi..
But get him one for sure, it's a great thing your doing.....
Old 01-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

i myself have a rossi 22/410 its a solid little gun, but short barrels dont pattern well, but if you get the full size and not the youth it will be perfect. My gun only weighs about 3 or 4 pounds. i love it.
this is a great gun.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 AM

I was checking out this gun for my son also. You know they have one with three barrels, shot gun, muzzleloader and rifle. I don't own one but from what I've read they are cheap and shoot pretty well.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: chr103yod

I was checking out this gun for my son also. You know they have one with three barrels, shot gun, muzzleloader and rifle. I don't own one but from what I've read they are cheap and shoot pretty well.
Yeah, I found it this morning while looking some more. I will definately be getting this gun for him as long as I don't hear anything bad about them in the next few days.

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S202250YM&category=MATCHEDSE T
Old 01-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

I bought my son the 22/410 youth. He doesn't like the 410 much cause it slaps him pretty good. It doesnt have a recoil pad, just a butt plate. And it is a little light. I dont remember my NEF nocking me around like that. He only weights 52 pounds thought. Also after 6-7 fast shots it gets hot and wont eject the shell. I had to take the barrel off and slap it on the barn door a couple times. Shooting it normaly like in hunting situations ( no Dove hunting, i have almost melted a Gold Label doing that) i had no problems. If you want a 20ga. for him get somthing heavier, or youmay never get him to shoot it again. If you thank he can handle itthough why not get the 243/20ga package? The 20 is good for fur and feathers and the 243 would better than the 20 for deer. Ryan shoots my wifes Ruger compact with no problem.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

He shoots my .50cal Omega with a 100gr powder/240gr Shockwave load. It is just too long and heavy for him to hunt with. He is 8, but 4'4" and 115lbs so he is a big boy. Recoil is not an issue, just the length and weight of the gun for the comfort of aiming to shoot. Plus as far as I could tell the 20ga/.22cal/.50cal is the only matched set they offer and I want him to M/L with me so we can get 5 weeks in the woods together here in MO.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

If money isn't an issue, as it was in my choice. What about the Encore and Contender? You can get a rifle,shotgun and muzzle loader. I found several with either M/L or rifle barrels for 400 or less used. Extra barrles usual run around 200.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Crew Dawg

If money isn't an issue, as it was in my choice. What about the Encore and Contender? You can get a rifle,shotgun and muzzle loader. I found several with either M/L or rifle barrels for 400 or less used. Extra barrles usual run around 200.
Money isn't really an issue, but doEncores and Contenderscome in youth models so he will actually get to use it with menow and not have to grow into it. If he could shoot a full size gun I would just let himhave one of mine. I am definately looking for youth models with multiple barrel set ups. The thing with spending that much money on an Encore and the different barrels I could just go shopping for 3 different guns altogether for what I would have in one of those fully set up.

Quick Reply: Gun for my son question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.