Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 For Encore Owners >

For Encore Owners

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

For Encore Owners

Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For Encore Owners

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

Call me crazy but isnt the whole point not to have to buy 4 frames. You can switch a barrel in under 5 mins why all the frames?
As I said in the first post, I DO understand the selling point, but I CHOOSE to keep my rifles complete once I get them sighted in. I posted this thread just to see if I am the only one that does this and EVIDENTLY I am the only one. I have had as many as 7 frames but have sold 3 over the years.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 PM

Kenman,
I have wanted to chat with someone about the ML pistol for years now. What kind of success have you had with the ML barrel? What are the ballistics...what distance do you sight it in for and how far would you shoot it? What loads are you using? Do you have a blued or SS?

I would really appreciate anyexperience/input you would be willing to share.

Thanks, J
Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnshiredman

Kenman,
I have wanted to chat with someone about the ML pistol for years now. What kind of success have you had with the ML barrel? What are the ballistics...what distance do you sight it in for and how far would you shoot it? What loads are you using? Do you have a blued or SS?
I love the ML barrel John. I use two 777 pellets and a 250gr shockwave sabot. As far as the ballistics, not really sure on the numbers. I sight it in for 50 yards, and I would say conservatively I shoot 1.5" groups (the gun shoots better than I do). I have the fiber-optic open sights, so my max shot would be probably 75 yards provided I have a good tree for a rest. My buddy scoped his with the TC 2.5x7 pistol scope and he says he would have no quams about shooting 100 yards with it. We both have the blued barrels. I carry my bow during the muzzle loader season, so I basically bought this barrel in case a bear or a nice buck hangs up just out of bow range. Success with it...just a coyote so far. I could have taken a bear with it last year, but I got him with the bow instead. The only thing I don't like about the barrel...the ramrod could be 3" longer. Icarry a t-barextension in my pocket in case I need a second shot. Other than that, I would highly recommend this barrel to anybody that is interested in buying it.

Ken
Old 01-05-2007, 12:13 PM

I have a standard SS frame that was bought with the 209x50 barrel. Since then I have purchased a 12G slug barrel, 20G slug barrel, .45-70 barrel and a .223 barrel. I want to get a pistol grip and start getting pistol barrels for it also. It is this versatilty that has totally sold me on the Encore. I have several bolt rifles that just sit in my safe now.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:46 PM

I've never changed barrels. I have dropped the pin many times, and intended to buy additional barrels when I purchased the Encore as a muzzle loader - but never have purchased another barrel.

I have not idea if I should be concerned, but having the forearm mounted to the barrel, it would appear the wood metal is the exact opposite of 'free-floated'. It's never effected me as a muzzle loader, but the thought concerns me when thinking about a 22-250 heavy barrel varmit shooter. Seems like that may be the worst case scenario in heat and forarm pressure.

Would be interested to hear Encore owners with rifle barrels comment on repeatable accuracy - especially varmit caliber heavy barrels.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 PM

There is no need to free float an Encore barrel since the stock is attached to the barrel and does not touch the receiver. The scope attaches to the barrel so in theory should always be zeroed. The chamber is part of the barrel so the rifling is always lined up with the round. The only thing I would be concerned with is if someone was using a military sling to steady the rifle while aiming/shooting. That would induce some torque to it.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

Call me crazy but isnt the whole point not to have to buy 4 frames. You can switch a barrel in under 5 mins why all the frames?
As I said in the first post, I DO understand the selling point, but I CHOOSE to keep my rifles complete once I get them sighted in. I posted this thread just to see if I am the only one that does this and EVIDENTLY I am the only one. I have had as many as 7 frames but have sold 3 over the years.

If you have a frame for every barrel or 4 frames or whatever, it sounds like you have more $then brains to me. Seems like your wasting 289$(frame cost est.) for each gun, plus the extra cost of a stock for each. You could have 1 frame and2 or3 more barrels.

To answer your question, yes you are the only one doing it that way.

It is your $ though and if thats what you want to spend it on then good for you.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have 3 frames
the first i got to use as a rifle ,i did .then i wanted to use it as a pistol , the law said no,no you cant do that,so i had to buy one to use it as a pistol . the third i got very cheap , it now is my ML.
i do have several pistol barrels that get changed from time to time.it all depends on my mood and who I'm trying to impress.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Spike

I switch barrels all the time, love the availability and ability to do that.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

To G2: I am very interested in any feedback on your 12 and 20 gauge barrels. I am assuming they are rifled? How do they shoot? Which do you like better? I will be hunting Ohio on a regular basis next year, and am considering a slug barrel for my Encore. Tom.

Quick Reply: For Encore Owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.