Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 12-24-2006, 05:22 AM
Spike

Default RE: Guns you've gotten rid of, Why you did it, and regrets.

Never a regret yet.
I have won, been given, have purchased a quite a few- and have sold, tradedor gifted 5 guns in all were good choices in my mind to buy and let go. If a gun is hard to part with I don't. If it has no sentemental value andI do not see my self shoothin the gun in the future then I figure the gun must be worth more to somone else than me.
I have a few which I have been considering selling or trading latly, And they just have not fully met my criteria for letting out of my stable yet
Old 12-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Colt AR-15 in 9mm: what a fun gun to plink with, bulk ammo was cheap too. never fired it once i got out of the service so i sold it for what i bought it for
Springfield SAR8 (G3 Replica) .308: nice repeater, good quality too. needed cash so sold it for what i paid for it
HK USP40 compact: couldn't get my pistol license when i got out of the service cause of some youthful offender crap i did when i was 15. boy did i pay for stealing those 2 comic books as a dare, only later in life. great pistol. got it for 550 bucks in LA when i was in the Army. had to sell it to a friend when my license got revolked. oh well another lesson in life i guess
Ithaca deerslayer featherlite 12g: to much recoil, traded for a moss 500 12g with two barrels

miss the Springfield the most by far. nothing like a semi auto rifle that is accurate.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Owned many, sold some, traded one or two and gave one as a gift.
Two rifles I regret selling:
1) Reminton 700 Mountain Rifle in .270 Win. Bought it used, looked like new. Spent a small fortune on it's customization. McMillan lightweight stock, trigger job to 3 crisp lbs, recut crown to 11*, bedded, everything lapped and mounted a Leupold VXII 3 x 9 on it. Handloaded for it 'til I consistantly shot 3 shot groups at 1/2" with 140 grain bal tips. Thought I wanted a "bigger gun" after two years with that .270, so I sold it to a sherriff's officer aquaintance of mine. That was 14yrs ago. He still won't sell it back! Says it's a tack driver and kills all his deer. He always says "no way". Maybe I can get him drunk one day and buy it back!!!
2) Remington 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. Again, spent a small fortune on the customizing job as on the .270. Only difference was a Bell & Carlson stock. This rifle shot at 1" with two 200 grain handloads and 1.3" with 225's. Killed some nice critters with this gun. Had offers to buy after people saw it shoot. I said" I'll never sell this baby!" Yeah well, I eventually sold it for financial reasons and regret it ever since. Truly wish I had the Whelen back.... Oh well, there's always another classic out there somewhere that needs fixin'!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:12 PM
c j
Typical Buck

As a stupid kid, I traded inan off-brand .410 pump that had belonged to my dad for a POS S&W 12 gauge pump. The .410 wasn't exactly a collector's item, but A) It was my dad's and B) It was a hell of a lot more gun than that S&W. I think that thing ended up being a fencepost.

The one I regret the most, however, was a Win 94 30-30. Couldn't tell you if if was pre-64 or not (didn't know about that stuff as a kid) but it was my first deer rifle and it always treated me well. I think it was around my Senior year in high school I decidedI needed something with better ballistics and I traded it in onaRuger 77 in 7mag. I still have that 7mag and I love it, but I've regrettedlosing the 94 ever since.

Kind of like the one car regret I have. In college I got rid of my 67 Firebird because it needed a lot of work and because I wanted to get a 65 4-4-2. Still have the 4-4-2 (and I like it a lot better) but I wish I would have found a way to keep that firebird, too.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have bought and sold MANY in the last 15 years, but there are two that really stick out. One was a 1969 Belgium Browning High Power that I sold to buy a Sig P228 in 1995, and the other was the first pre 89 Colt AR-15 that I ever bought (I have owned 15 since). I bought it for $600 at a gun show in 1998 and sold it for $1500 just before Y2K. One of the best profits that I have ever turned gun trading, but I wish I had the gun back.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM

A 1972 vintage Remington 760 Gamemaster pump 30-06. Really a nice rifle bought for a Pennsylvania deer hunt back then. It sat until 1987 then sold it to a friend. Now that NY has allowed rifles in the Southern zone I do wish I had it again.

The other was a S&W Model 41. 22 cal. target pistol. another great gun. I enjoyed target shooting back in the early 80's butforced to worknight shift, sort of put a damper on that. I replaced it with a T/C Contender Super14 35 Rem. and shortly after thata Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag, Both have spent many years in the woods. The Ruger is a keeper but the T/C Contender I'd have no problems parting with.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

As a youngin I had a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup in 45acp and an Auto Ordinance Thompson 1927A1 Tommy gun in 45acp. Back then I couldnt afford to keep them fed so I sold them. I sure wish I had them back as now I can afford to feed em