HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   What Do You Think Of S&W Buying Thompson Center Arms? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/170857-what-do-you-think-s-w-buying-thompson-center-arms.html)

DM 12-18-2006 05:11 PM

What Do You Think Of S&W Buying Thompson Center Arms?

Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. today announced it has agreed to acquire Thompson/Center Arms Inc. The company will pay $102 million in cash for the New Hampshire-based designer, manufacturer and marketer of hunting firearms. Smith & Wesson president and CEO Michael Golden called the acquisition "an important step in our diversification strategy" and said the move will expand the company's presence in the $1.1 billion long gun market. In conjunction with the acquisition, Gregg Ritz, Thompson/Center Arms president and CEO, will be named president of Smith & Wesson-Hunting. Ritz will continue to lead the Thompson/Center Arms operation and will head Smith & Wesson's efforts to develop its hunting business. The transaction is expected to close in January.

geoffh 12-18-2006 06:18 PM

RE: What Do You Think Of S&W Buying Thompson Center Arms?

I suppose that a bigger 'money pool' doesn't hurt, but I've personally become dissatisfied with the S&W line in the last 15 years or so. T/C has always good solid well finished products, hopefully they will continue to do so.

Doe Dumper 12-18-2006 06:40 PM

I guess we better buy our T/C's now.

HEAD0001 12-18-2006 06:54 PM

IMO it may be a good thing. Firearms companies are spending alot of money on litigation. The larger the company, the lower the unit cost associated to litigation. The hunting industry is actually a small world. If you have noticed over the past few years, there has been alot of mergers. And for that matter how many people knew who owned TC before this? I sure didn't. Smith went through their major problems a few years back when they were owned by a PC foreign corporation. Smith learned their lessons. Smith should be able to pass on this knowledge to TC.

The companies do not overlap. TC are experts at investment casting. Smith is an expert at tool and die. They may well compliment each other. Give it a chance. Hell we have to, we do not have any choice. Tom.

handloader1 12-18-2006 10:54 PM

I was waiting for a good deal to purchase a T/C 209x50 Pro-Hunter; I guess I better buy one now. Good luck.

James B 12-19-2006 03:54 AM

I guess only time will tell but T/C has been having money problems for several years and this could really help both Companies. Both have always produced pretty good quality guns.

Rebel Hog 12-19-2006 04:04 AM

ORIGINAL: DM

Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. today announced it has agreed to acquire Thompson/Center Arms Inc. The company will pay $102 million in cash for the New Hampshire-based designer, manufacturer and marketer of hunting firearms. Smith & Wesson president and CEO Michael Golden called the acquisition "an important step in our diversification strategy" and said the move will expand the company's presence in the $1.1 billion long gun market. In conjunction with the acquisition, Gregg Ritz, Thompson/Center Arms president and CEO, will be named president of Smith & Wesson-Hunting. Ritz will continue to lead the Thompson/Center Arms operation and will head Smith & Wesson's efforts to develop its hunting business. The transaction is expected to close in January.
Wow! God I don't need another, but I quess I'll have too.:)

bugsNbows 12-19-2006 10:53 AM

I guess that will put Greg Ritz up on the front porch with the big(ger) dogs. Never forget seeing / hearing him push the tar out of Nikon scopes... best since sliced bread. Ya right. then I see him with a Swaro on HIS gun. Go figure. Geez Louise.

Red Lion 12-19-2006 11:04 AM

It does not really make a difference.

SwampCollie 12-22-2006 12:50 PM

I hope that they continue to get better. TC makes some of the best firearms in the industry. Simple, accurate, reliable, and affordable. Smith is just smith, enough said. They are the Remington of handguns. Hopefully, each will benefit from the other and we won't have Smith making smokepoles and TC making wheel-guns. If smith is smart, they will let Greg Ritz keep doing his thing.